• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's a mep-003a with an ASK worth

Isaac-1

Generator values are relative to the local market and season, up north this generally means highest prices are seen as cool weather approaches, but before it turns into an ice cube outside. For the gulf coast it is generally when huricane season is approaching this time of year. Recent major storms even if they are in a different region can drive up seasonal prices for months or even years after they occur. And of course during an actual major outage all bets are off on prices. Having said that over the last couple of years good looking as-is MEP-003a with ASK on GL have been selling on average somewhere above $1,500 with some going $3,500+ for no obvious reason, one would think this would translate into higher prices on known good running sets on the private market, but I have not seen it based on looking at the ones for sale on ebay, etc with buy it now prices between about $2,500 - $4,000, just to be relisted over and over again.

Chainbreaker

I believe it also depends on where the unit for sale is located versus areas of need and population density. If I have a need for a MEP-003a and you are within lets say 300 miles of me I will pay more because I can easily drive to pick it up. If you are 1,000+ miles away from my location then I'm looking at shipping costs and will factor that into my purchase price negotiations. So it depends on location of your unit versus its proximity to power failure prone areas as well as time of year as to what the market will judge the value to be.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its worth whatever an mep003 is worth. I had an ASK for an 003 for sale for a while and never had any interest in it, so it sits in a pile. I may put it back on someday.

Rapracing

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

From what I have seen over the past year or so, unless you get a super deal on something and have to put very little into it you are not going to make anything selling it. Prices have been high enough on GL, etc. that if you are planning to go into business fixing up and selling you may not eat very well and may actually need another source of income to fund your generator business.

Knuckles

I agree - it would be a hard business. I just have an extra I'm thinking about getting rid of. You know how it is - I bought one for the house and the next thing you know - I have generators everywhere. :doh:

Ratch

I've discovered that the private market around PA/NJ/NY is pretty much saturated with milsurp generators. I can't imagine VA is not also, being fairly close.
2 massive hurricanes, a couple ice storms, and various other power outages have driven GL prices up by both individuals and enterprising resellers, and then in turn flooded the private market unrelated to GL. Supply is probably overpowering demand right now.
I've found if you search Craigslist at any given time, you'll find plenty of milsurp gensets that are listed for a long time unless they're priced low. Some are priced pretty wildly (saw a mep-802a for $6500), but they don't seem to be selling.
I'd like them to be selling better, too. I have 5 generators at the house now... Only need 1. Ok, 2.

Wishlist

Generators on Harrisburg's Craigslist are a dime a dozen. Seeing how you only have 5 would you like 3 more to have an even 8?

Isaac-1

I would say bring them down here to the gulf coast for hurricane season, but people have short memories, and the gulf coast has not been hit hard in 5 or 6 years now, so few people are preparing for hurricane season the way they were doing in the 04-09 seasons when there were several major hurricane hits all along the gulf coast.

Wishlist

I was stationed at the Seabee Base in Gulfport about 8 months after Katrina had her way with the place, what a mess she made.

derf

I've had mine listed on CL for a while and it hasn't had any interest. It's a project, though. It runs but the 24V charging stator is bad. Dunno if the gen head works but suspect it does. I think I'll have to fix it all the way and then wait for a storm to blow by.
Right now I'd take $1000, which is what I have in it. In good running order I'd ask $3000. Sooner or later it'll be worth $1000 to someone or I'll fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks