• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's best way to use the SEE to unload a 40' shipping container

rtrask

I have a friend that is hauling a 40' high cube shipping container for me. He has a new trailer and worried about damaging the trailer when we unload. I told him there is no way we are going to just lift it off.

The easiest way but likely most expensive would be to buy some OSB sheets to protect his decking and just slide it off. Even at that I suspect he will balk at that idea. As an alternative I was thinking I could stack railroad ties I already have on each side of the trailer near the front of the trailer. (it's a 3 foot bed so about 5 ties per side) Lift the container on the front with the backhoe run a 10' railroad tie across the two stacks to hold the container off the trailer then move to the back of the trailer and use the backhoe to lift up the back side and have my friend drive out from under it. Hopefully you get the picture.

I think it should work, but thought I would get your feedback, or a better idea from someone that has already done something similar.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One solution would be to take a pick axe to the trailer tonight and scratch it up. I joke, all my trailers were new at one time, I know the feeling. One fella up here pulls the 40 footers in with a 1 Ton and a funky tilt/dump trailer. Another guy uses a semi-winch truck with the cable running to the back of the trailer at a pulley then back to the front of the sea can. The winch pulls the sea-can back 40' and he plants them nicely in holes.......I heard from a friend.

We use fence posts or pipe to roll them around on hard ground and logs on soft ground. We skid them with the deuces fairly easy put if the log comes out and a corner of the can digs in we use hydraulic jacks to get them back up. The Bobcat won't easily lift a corner. An 8000lb Bobcat can slap a sea can around under the right conditions but lifting them can be hairy.

Putting rollers under for the haul isn't suggested but once you're in a "flat" staging area, a controlled 'pipe roll' off the trailer with a quick pull off the end.....should make for some good video. if you can find some 4" pipe you'd only need to lift it 5" to get the pipe under. Hook it up to the wife's car and pull it off like an Egyptian.

It might be easier just pre-gouging the trailer because we know it's going to happen. lol.

Here's a short pull with a 16,500 lb truck designed to do this job. You have some serious engineering to figure out with that mass floating in the air. A low, slow, role might be the way to go.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need extra lifting, don't forget that a pair of Hi-Lift jacks can be used in the corner pockets.

I've never tried lifting the end of a container with the backhoe, so I don't know how well that works.
But I'll be moving two containers here pretty soon, and the HMMH's forklift is out of commission, so I guess I'll find out.

rtrask

If you need extra lifting, don't forget that a pair of Hi-Lift jacks can be used in the corner pockets.

I've never tried lifting the end of a container with the backhoe, so I don't know how well that works.
But I'll be moving two containers here pretty soon, and the HMMH's forklift is out of commission, so I guess I'll find out.
Well I will find out on Thursday and let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks