• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats cheaper in the long run in sandblasting

jjfricko

i have a a deuce with a little rust on the differentials and in other places to, im going to sandblast it soon and was wondering what would be cheaper should i do it or have someone do it for me. i have an air compressor and a small sandblaster i got from harbor freight. and im using 25 pounds of glass beads already. the help would be appreciated. but i haven't really ever sand blasted before and if it is cheaper to do it myself do you have any pointers to doing it?

Thanks

DanMartin

:ditto:
Plus it will take about 1/10th the time if you take it to a pro...they tend to have the good equipment. You'll be blasting forever with that small gun.

Also, remember that you need to wear eye and lung protection when using glass blasting media (especially glass!). Save the glass beads for a cabinet....much safer.

Oldgrunt

I've done some sand blasting, and it sucks, I don't care how much duck tape, hoods and gloves you use, that stuff will get into places you didn't even know you had. The medium such as glass, sand, corn cobs, walnut shells ect... you use will determine the cost and or the savings and how much time it will take to achieve the desired results. Unless you have alot to blast I would do it myself, and you will be able to be more carefull where you get alot of the sand, brakes grease joints ect... In the end I would say it depends on your walet, myself I can't bring myself to pay some one for something I can do myself.

Good Luck and post pic's of your progress
Brett

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done quite a bit of sandblasting and it is cheaper to do it yourself if you have the right equipment. First you need to ensure that your compressor can hold up to the task without burning it up. I have a 75gal that stores 175psi with a 6.5HP motor. You can do a decent job with a 40lbs pot. Next you need a hood, plenty of lens papers or plastic wrap, some welding gloves, and good breathing aparatus. lay a tarp down mask off really good and go. I use low silica washed/bleached sand, then when the pot is empty use the tarp to scoopit all up and pour it back through a screen into the pot. It is usually good for 3 uses at 70-80 psi. You can find the sand for about $10. per 100lbs. Make sure you use a good respirator so you don't develope silicosis from the silica sand. Its not that hard to do.

beck

sand gets everywhere

I've never blasted a MV but when I have done old cars the media gets everywhere. It never all seems to come out of the crevices. Years later the media is still falling out. How does everyone keep it from rotating parts or other places where it shouldn't be? I've tried everything. The only way I have been able to do it without ruining things is complete disassembly of the vehicle. I take the body off the frame and everything on the frame apart. That would be a major job on a deuce. Any help would be appreciated since I have located one that needs paint badly.

kurtze99

If you are worried about the sand getting into places that you can't get it out, then you might want to look at other types of media. There are several types out there if you want to spend the money(baking soda, corn cobs, walnut shells, wheat starch just to name a few) all of these have their limitations but are non abrasive. I have a sandblasting business and always encourage customers to disassemble cars, tractors, etc. as far as possible before they bring them, to prevent what beck is saying. I also use a lot of duct tape to protect delicate surfaces, cracks, crevices and other areas that you want to keep the sand out of. Large amounts of air and alot of time spent blowing sand particles out of where they shouldn't be helps too. We have been doing this many years and as with anything you learn a lot of tricks. The most important thing I've learnd is when blasting a car, truck, tractor is you don't need alot of pressure 35-40 psi with high volume. I run a 600lb pot with a 375cfm compressor. On frames highly rusted heavy iron parts and other things that we don't have to worry about damage we'll run 125psi and we always use a fine grit abrasive unless were using one of the above mentioned medias.
Here is a pic. of one of my tractors I restored(I know it's not an MV, sorry)

Attachments

beck

If you are worried about the sand getting into places that you can't get it out, then you might want to look at other types of media. There are several types out there if you want to spend the money(baking soda, corn cobs, walnut shells, wheat starch just to name a few) all of these have their limitations but are non abrasive. I have a sandblasting business and always encourage customers to disassemble cars, tractors, etc. as far as possible before they bring them, to prevent what beck is saying. I also use a lot of duct tape to protect delicate surfaces, cracks, crevices and other areas that you want to keep the sand out of. Large amounts of air and alot of time spent blowing sand particles out of where they shouldn't be helps too. We have been doing this many years and as with anything you learn a lot of tricks. The most important thing I've learnd is when blasting a car, truck, tractor is you don't need alot of pressure 35-40 psi with high volume. I run a 600lb pot with a 375cfm compressor. On frames highly rusted heavy iron parts and other things that we don't have to worry about damage we'll run 125psi and we always use a fine grit abrasive unless were using one of the above mentioned medias.
Here is a pic. of one of my tractors I restored(I know it's not an MV, sorry)
kurtze99,
You aren't that far from me. I'm sending you a PM. You might be just the man I'm looking for.

rivired

ok i just dealt with this Q myself....i was just quoted 650$ to get the CAB ..inside and out..doors and the hood and fenders...nothing else.. i personally think this price is completely outrageous ...ive done blasting before and i can say this is about 4 hrs work at the most. ..so i was thinking wow i could go buy a 60 gallon compressor off criagslist and a somwhat decent pot blaster or hopper gun for much less and never need such a service again..especially wit the economy the way it is now..i tottaly didnt expect to be ripped off.

i was wondering why that though didnt go through the guy who gave me that quotes head.

kurtze99

rivired I wish you were a little closer to me I could prolly do that for about half if you just wanted to use sand. I don't know how deticated you are but I have alot of people that bring me stuff to blast that did just what you are thinking but after a few times of doing it they give up. It can be a pain if you dont have a decent setup and the right PPE, especially if you are planning to do much of it. Just my 2cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks