• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's everyone think is the best SINGLE color for my HEMTT?

dma251

I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from the camo for right now. What color do you all think I should go with for the HEMTT project? I'm kinda torn between the ol' tried and true 383 CARC substitute, and the current 34086 Lusterless Olive Drab (both are Gillespie from Rapco).

Does anyone have any pics they could share with me that might represent what the 34086 looks like on a rig? I have a spray can of it, and I like what I see, but it's different when it's on the entire truck.

By the way - the project is coming right along, I'll post pics soon.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damon, I recommend that you use 686A tan CARC. That would look sharp (and current)! Do you want your truck to look good...or good and accurate? If it is the latter, CARC 383 green or 686A tan are your only choices. If you are not striving for 100% accuracy, then the choice of a color is a personal preference. Personally, I like the tan since not many guys have tan trucks. I would have painted my HEMTT tan if the interior of the cab had not been green and as clean looking as it was. Good luck!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be correct, you only have 2 choices. CARC 383 Green, or CARC Tan 686A.

Anything else would be incorrect, and people would say "whats the matter with that truck"

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree with Emmado22 and Bruce. 383 CARC that sucker!

dma251

Hmmm.... Tan.... That's something to think about. Bruce - I have every intention of removing the cab this fall and stripping and repainting it inside and out. I am thinking baout Rhino-lining the interior as well(they can color match to any shade you provide a sample for).

This is an intriguing idea. I guess I always steered away from the tan color out of concern that it would attract greasy smudges and dirt and look aweful and be difficult to clean off. Any thoughts on that?

As for using real CARC - Your joking, right? ;) I have no way to obtain it, I have no desire to handle something that toxic, and every example of real CARC I've ever seen looked like crap. I'd get a nicer finish with a sheetrock texture.... That's just my opinion, of course....

I'm not trying to make this truck 100% correct, just 100% really nice. although if tan can spray on good, and look nice for a while, I think that might be the color to go with...

THANKS GUYS!!! THATS WHAT I NEEDED - FEEDBACK!! PICTURES SOON - REALLY!!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damon,
The green shows every little scuff. Give it a try...rub your knuckles across the door on your HEMTT and you will leave a white mark. This mark sometimes washes off or weathers out, but not always. The tan is much more durable IMHO. Painting CARC is no more hazardous than painting with any other paint...*IF* you use a fresh air respirator. PM me...I can help you get 686A tan CARC if you want it. By the way, I'll email you pics of a freshly painted M813A1...in tan!

Elwenil

I vote 383 or 686 also. I think a tan one would be killer since you don't see many stateside like that and I can't recall a tan one in private hands.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a nice happy medium can be had for the traditionalists and those here who want to see you paint it white. Since you're high in the mountains of WA, this would be perfect, and very unique. Paint the sucker white, stem to stern. THEN, make it a 4-color camo job, incorporating woodland green and a little black and brown in the mix, on top of the white. The result would be a high mountain camo, perfect for the Rockies/Sierras after October and before April. Winter woodland, if you can imagine that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks