• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's High Mileage for an M813?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the 800 series guys,

What would you consider a high mileage M813 & what would a high hours NTC 250 Cummins be. I'm assuming maintenance was regular.

Is 50,000 miles high for an 800 series? Is 450 hours high for an NH250?

Thanks for your help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: What

Sounds like that truck has been driven 111 mph for 450 hrs. I doubt it!

M1075

RE: What

Or maybe 459 hours since the gauge last broke and was replaced? I wouldn't rely on the gauges very much. Instead, inspect the condition of the truck and see how it runs.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a discrepancy between the gauges. I would think 450 hours would be a low hours engine. But just wanted to get some opinions on when the NTC 250 becomes a high hours engine. Does anyone know the general lifespan of this engine?

I agree M1075, condition is key.

mitchellracing

having been around alot of cummins 855 engines 300,000miles with proper maintance is right .Rods ,mains, and head bolts (bsure ya change the head bolts)at 300,000 itll keep right on truckin

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running a comercial truck, here in the North country, where I traditionally run the engine all night (never sutting it down do to sever cold), I log an average of about 30 miles per engine tack hour. That is my rule of thumb.

With conventional preventive maintainance measures (as per specific to each engine make), engines today will routinely log a million miles without a major overhaul. With a little LUCK.

So if you divide the a million in half, your still pretty low. You jus have to decide how lucky you are.

Lee in Alaska

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is the NTC 250 the father of the 400 Cummins? If it is the son is a good runner and we got tons of miles out of them trouble free in our M915's. The main problems we had were with the CAT airshift 16 speed leaking air and loosing the shift capability. The suitcase waterpump is a great idea and that was our other high failure item. I am hoping to have an M818 soon and look forward to getting to put some time on the 250