• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's missing to the left of the master cylinder in this M1009?

Stratoghost

I started working on my 1986 M1009 and noticed that something was removed from the firewall. There are some loose wires and some screw holes as shown in the picture. I looked in a couple Haynes manuals, searched here and can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1367.jpg

Rickyoday

Your glow plug relay is missing! ECC 25-1526 is the Standard part #. The large red wire from the firewall resistor goes on the top post of the relay. The small blue wire goes on the top small post, the red with black stripe wire goes on the lower small post, and the twin large orange wires from the engine harness go on the large bottom post, along with a single small orange wire.
I'm sure there's a diagram somewhere on this site, you'll have to search it out. You can go to the resources tab at the top of the page, click on manuals, and find manuals for the truck on PDF file. It's best to have the manuals when working on any truck, especially the electrical system.
Good luck!
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, it is where the glowplug relay goes.

There will be 5 wires to hookup.

Big red wire - comes from the batteries. On a stock system it is 24v and feed thru the BIG resistor pack on the firewall. If the resistor pack has been bypassed it will 12v from the 12v terminal block by the glowplug. Attaches to the top lug of the relay

2 Big Orange wires - feeds to the glowplugs. Attaches to the bottom lug of the relay

Small orange wire - Connected to the Glow plug controller. Attaches to the bottom lug of the relay (wiring diagrams are wrong. shows it attaching to the top lug. won't work that way)

Small light blue wire - Connected to the Glow plug Controller - attaches to the small terminal on the relay

Small pink w/black wire - Connected to the Glow plug Relay and is the hot wire from the ignition switch - atttaches to the other small terminal on the relay

Right click on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

Last edited:

Crash_AF

You can also get away with a ford starter relay if you happen to have one laying around:

This is incorrect, while it looks the same a Ford starter relay is not ground actuated, it is 12V actuated. The stock CUCV system will not work with it because the Ford starter relay is grounded through the mount.

A Ford glow plug relay will work, as it is ground isolated with a positive and ground terminal.

I use a GPR for a 96 F350 when I ask for one at the parts store.

Later,
Joe

dmc-4359

This is incorrect, while it looks the same a Ford starter relay is not ground actuated, it is 12V actuated. The stock CUCV system will not work with it because the Ford starter relay is grounded through the mount.

A Ford glow plug relay will work, as it is ground isolated with a positive and ground terminal.

I use a GPR for a 96 F350 when I ask for one at the parts store.

Later,
Joe
The picture I posted was my m1009 before I converted it to 12v and I know for certain that what is pictured is a generic ford starter relay. The truck started and ran just fine for some time as pictured.

Crash_AF

While it looks like a Ford starter relay, it is probably a Ford GPR. That looks exactly like the relay in my CUCVs that are 1996 F-350 GPRs, not starter relays. All Ford starter relays (that I have seen) are 12V activated with a second wire for ignition power during cranking, bypassing the ballast resistor.

Without ohming it out to find out if it's grounded through the mount I can't say for sure what it is, however, the stock CUCV glow plug system is ground controlled and if the relay is grounded to the mount it is impossible for the stock system to control it.

I don't want to get into an argument about what is/was on your truck because I'm not there to personally see/verify, but I want people to be aware that in my experience, Ford starter relays are not suitable to use as GPRs due to their internal electrical configuration.

Later,
Joe

dmc-4359

While it looks like a Ford starter relay, it is probably a Ford GPR. That looks exactly like the relay in my CUCVs that are 1996 F-350 GPRs, not starter relays. All Ford starter relays (that I have seen) are 12V activated with a second wire for ignition power during cranking, bypassing the ballast resistor.

Without ohming it out to find out if it's grounded through the mount I can't say for sure what it is, however, the stock CUCV glow plug system is ground controlled and if the relay is grounded to the mount it is impossible for the stock system to control it.

I don't want to get into an argument about what is/was on your truck because I'm not there to personally see/verify, but I want people to be aware that in my experience, Ford starter relays are not suitable to use as GPRs due to their internal electrical configuration.

Later,
Joe
It is a Ford starter relay and it is most definitely grounded through the base to the firewall. I do know what they look like and how to test them. To an extent that I accidently shorted the relay pictured for several minutes with the glow plugs engaged and burned it up several months ago. I purchased and installed another Ford Starter relay from Autozone as the glowplugs were none the worse for wear.

That said, I do not use the gp controller and likely this is where our disagreement is founded. Mine has the switch update to manually cycle the plugs. It seemed reasonable to me that the original poster will be doing the same if someone has already seen fit to scavenge the gp relay from his truck. It seems unlikely that someone would swipe the gp relay without getting the controller if they are trying to get another cucv back online.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That said, I do not use the gp controller and likely this is where our disagreement is founded. Mine has the switch update to manually cycle the plugs
This is where we run into issues. Once a truck is modified, all bets are off.

Unless you say that it has been modifed, a newbie will never know that and use the "wrong" part on a stock truck and fry something.

Thanks for clear it up for us.

Stratoghost

Thanks for all your help. I installed the glow plug relay and 2 batteries. I was amazed that it started right up. I had to drive it around the block a few times. Now I have to get the title work finished and some plates.