• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the actual realistic price ending on the GOV auction site?

DukeNukem

What's the actual realistic price ending on the GOV auction/Iron Planet site?
There's like 100 for sale and they all start at 5K.

TwoStates

It depends. Click the "Sold" tab at the top and you'll see all of them that sold. Mine was $9,000 and after using the ironclad warranty it was reduced to $7750. Be forewarned that you'll spend much more than that getting it to be in the configuration and restoration level you want.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends on a lot of other factors to determine an answer.

Oh, and the piece of string is 6" in case anyone was wondering.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As noted it varies. Pay CLOSE attention to the fees and taxes portion, as well as shipping if applicable when deciding your top bid amount. The add-on fees increase significantly when you get over a coupla grand in bidding.
Bid on the later ones in the auction day, let the "oooo shiny, me want" types bid on the first few and get bored.
Bulldogger

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a rule of thumb add 20% to the final bid so you'll never over bid. This doesn't include shipping of course.
That's pretty much what I do. After you figure the premium and sales tax, you're pretty much at 20% in most states. You've also got to remember that you pay sales tax on the premium also, which my state (TN) usually refunds me because they don't require tax paid on the premium.

springbok

First off, while the piece of string may be six inches I have my wife convinced it is eight.
OK that out of the way
Go back and look at sold items. there are many factors that come into play
Year, location, condition, model, upgrades and so on
Now a few things, not running or not able to start is not as simple as GL was, they put in a good deal of effort to try and get one started so if you are not ready to do some real work stay away from the not able to start...
I got lucky with one I won, nobody bid on it because it had minor blowby, I had a new engine sitting here so figured no big deal. I was hoping that the Maine reset sticker was correct as well as the miles (420)
When I finally got it home and after some research the first thing I did was change the oil. Turns out it still had a breakin oil in it. 1000 miles later, no blowby and a very happy M998.
The final thing I try to tell people when they say they want to buy a HUMVEE is "REMEMBER, IT'S A TOY" So keep that in mind also.
One last thing, The price + 20+ is the "entry" point. Once you get it home the goodie buying starts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some string for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DukeNukem

I guess that's cheaper than a crew cab diesel dually trucks like I have several of sitting in my driveway (4K miles on) left over from my shattered dreams of owning a cattle ranch.
Age caught up to me is the reason for my abandonment.
Good note is looks like the trucks are capable of hauling 2 HMMWV's back up North.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks