• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the best books on WC series trucks?

scottgs

I'm pretty new to the WC Dodge trucks, and I'm wondering if there is any de facto standard reference book for these trucks? Even if there's not, what's a good reference? I've already got several of the TM's, which are pretty good on how the truck works, but obviously don't tell much about the history or development.

Also, is there any way to find the history of a particular truck based on it's serial number? With Military Land Rovers, I am able to write the UK MOD and get it's permanent record, so to speak. Anything like this for US vehicles?

Thanks,
Garret

FrankUSMC

Scott, first, the Bride and I have gotten a new computer. For some unknown reason, it will not let me start a new paragraph on this forum, so that is why my post have now started to run together. On the Dodge books, the best two I have is "DODGE VC-1 - WC64KD" by Emile Becker and Guy Dentzer, great book, but sadly written in French. The second one is Dodge military vehicles, by Brooklands Books, Collection #1, this book has a lot of good information and reprints on WWII dodge articles. This book was also the first one I ever bought in 1984. The next book is a good book with lots of photos it is called "Dodge BEEP in detail". It is a book that is mainly printed for modelers in mind. Like I said, lots of very good photos, just do not take all the information in the book as 100%. I have a couple of the books on different vehicles, and what ever the owner tells the photographer he prints, so buy the book for the photos, not the information. The last two books I have are not worth you getting for information or photos on WWII Dodges, they are "Dodge Power Wagon photo history" and "Dodge Power Wagons 1940-1980 Photo archive". I hope this helps you. I was very lucky in that while I was in the Marines, I was stationed not to far from a military manual book company called Portrayal Press, back in the 1980s. That is where I got most of my books from. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

scottgs

Frank, Thanks for the recommendations. I have the Brooklands Dodge book, and several of the TM's, with an original TM 9-810 on the way. I'll search around and see if I can find the "Dodge VC-1 - WC64KD". I'll let my wife handle it, as she loves searching for rare books. Last one I asked her about was a book on FN firearms that was printed decades ago in Belgium, and holy cow if she didn't find one!

I responded to you in the other thread I started in this forum section, so I won't repeat details here, but I have found a WC-63 which I plan to recover this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Garret

scottgs

I just ordered a copy of ""DODGE VC-1 - WC64KD" by Emile Becker and Guy Dentzer". There are a couple more on eBay. Expensive, but there sure are not many books on the Dodges. So I figure better get what I can.

It seems so strange that the best (or only?) books are written by the Brits and the French. I wonder why we Americans have so much difficulty with documenting our own history? Maybe it's just our disposable mind-set, or maybe we just spend more time driving and doing instead of studying and writing...

Primal - Thanks for the link. Looks like the makings of a good web site. I couldn't get most of the Dodge links to work. Just wondering if it's me?

Garret

Primal4x4

Garret, thank you for the encouragement and input. I also had problems with the Dodge links (on the tablet, ok on computer) so I recently made changes to the page links. Continuing improvements and content as I learn how to better build the site. Please any ideas or information is welcome.

Pittsjock

Greetings Garret.

I am the new owner of Portrayal Press. We have a few copies of the Emile Becker book in stock as well as several other commercial titles on Dodges. Dodge WW2 Military Portfolio has some good information and we have some Dodge publications with historical information on production etc.

We also have a complete selection of TM's, ORD's, SB's and more on the vehicles. We are in the process of updating our website and catalog, but are happy to send the old catalog in the meantime which has these listings. You can also give us a call at 855-339-0382 and we would be happy to see if we could help you out.

Regards, Patrick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Greetings Garret.

I am the new owner of Portrayal Press. We have a few copies of the Emile Becker book in stock as well as several other commercial titles on Dodges. Dodge WW2 Military Portfolio has some good information and we have some Dodge publications with historical information on production etc.

We also have a complete selection of TM's, ORD's, SB's and more on the vehicles. We are in the process of updating our website and catalog, but are happy to send the old catalog in the meantime which has these listings. You can also give us a call at 855-339-0382 and we would be happy to see if we could help you out.

Regards, Patrick
How about a link to PP, thanks

Pittsjock

Ron - the website isn't too much to look at right now. I am thinking the new one will be up in a month or so. In the meantime, I can send out a Catalog or a listing of Dodge manuals if you are interested.

I wasn't sure about posting links here, but here you go: www.portrayal.com

Thanks, Patrick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know this thread is to do with dodge but i am intrested in you OTHER books,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks