• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what's the cheapest way to insure?

rickta24

hey guys, yall have been a huge help to me. Now for the deal-breaker question. is there a cheap cheap way to insure a cuck-vee? i've read some that are the same as a normal car and some that are a couple hundred A YEAR. Insuring it is what is keeping me from buying one right now unless there is aninexpensive way to do it. how is the cheapest way to go for insurance??

thanks.

AJMBLAZER

RE: what

Mine's regular old State Farm insurance insured as a 1986 Chevrolet K30 pickup. They did take pictures of it and inspect it to see that it was in good shape and not some rusty old POS like most '86 vintage trucks are around here. Therefore the truck is insured for a higher amount, not $1000 or whatever the insurance company would normally say it is worth.
If you want to drive it regularly then you'll need regular auto insurance on it. Mine's pretty cheap actually. Full coverage on it is less per month than PLPD on my daily driver '96 Geo Tracker 4x4.

Unless you're planning on restoring it like a show vehicle I wouldn't go with special insurance. They have restrictions and criteria to meet and can be a problem. Just tell your favorite insurance company it's a '8x K5 Blazer that the military painted green...that's true. They may get confused by the VIN but offer to bring it in and show them.

BigB84

I insured my 1984 m1009, w/ Progressive. 45$ a month, for 25/50/25 liability and UM coverage. Did it all on oneline at progressive.com

SuperchargedRS

Wawanessa is what everyone in the automotive industry uses.

People get diharria of the mouth telling people they have a military truck ("oh it's not a blazer it's an m1009 etc.), just tell them you want to insure your 198* blazer or whatever, most insurer wont have a problem taking your money unless you create one.

AJMBLAZER

SuperchargedRS said:
People get diarrhea of the mouth telling people they have a military truck ("oh it's not a blazer it's an m1009 etc.), just tell them you want to insure your 198* blazer or whatever, most insurer wont have a problem taking your money unless you create one.
The problem is the VIN doesn't usually work with most systems used by State Licensing Agencies and Insurance Companies. If it didn't roll of a dealer lot most can't understand the different VIN coding. You usually have to show them the actual VIN decoding in the book or what not. Mine just wanted to see the truck as proof that it was what I said.

AJMBLAZER

Look back through the records of this site and also over on www.ColoradoK5.com . You two might not have had issues with your states and particular insurance agencies but many of us have. All mine wanted to know was the VIN number because so many people now a days can't even spell the names of their cars. In both cases the digit that indicates the military sales model completely threw their systems for a loop. I had to have the guy at the secretary of state office go get the "big book o' VINs" and then flip through it myself to show him what the truck was and how to read the VIN.

Again, tell them it's just what it is, a 198x Chevrolet K30 pickup or K5 Blazer and give them the VIN, but don't be surprised at all when they have issues.

My local insurance agency couldn't get the State Farm system to accept the VIN. Came back as invalid. Explained it to them, showed them the truck, they took pictures, etc and all was cool. Then over a month later the dorks where ever the paperwork is handled at State Farm HQ called me up wanting to know if this was some kind of "big 6x6 army truck" or something. Since it wasn't in their computer it didn't exist to them. :roll:

ONTOS66

I am having the same problem with AIG. When I tried to add my M1028 to my policy. The VIN confused them and when I tried to explain on the phone it just got worse with them saying "no, we can't insure that" over and over. But, they had NO PROBLEM accepting my M1009. I didn't mention the similarity of the vehicles thinking they might say that they couldn't insure that too. I'll have another go at them next week - perhaps drop by a local office and see if I can do it eye-ball to eye-ball.

Michael

I will be putting the finishing touches on my vin decoding thread next week when my civi service manual I bought on ebay comes in. I plan to scan the page in the manual that decodes the vin as part of the post. It might say you some time to take a copy with you.

CCATLETT1984

the only difference in the vin is the "D" that denotes its a government truck, the rest of the vin code is the same as a civilian truck.

Onto, call and tell them that they need to do a VIN lookup with the main office of your DMV, they will have the "big book" of vins on hand and will be able to decode it. take pics of the truck and of the vin plate and send them in, that will show what you have. although they may want the vin verified by a third party.

They insure my m1008 as well. :)

Michael

It is good to decode the vin number yourself. Somebody at DRMO may have misread it, you may be calling it an 85 when the vin says 86 etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks