• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the differance between a M1008 and a M1008A1?

ssgtwright-usmc

Was told and I even did a WEB SEACH on the differance between a M1008 and a M1008A1 vehicle.
Even did a search here but found no answer here.
What I found on the web search was 1 thing, the M1008 only had one alternator when the M1008A2 has two.
I dont beleive this to be correct because I am sure their has to be more differances between the two.
If so, what are they?
I do know that the older vehicles would get painted over to be more current with the current camo scheme.
How can you tell a M1008 from a M1008A1?
I can cut and paste the alternator website here if needed.

papercu

Both has two alternators. The only difference is:
The M1008A1 includes a 100 amp/24 v communications kit. TM 9-2320-289-20 Page 1-3
Just mean it comes from the factory, ready to set a shelter on. Wayne

ssgtwright-usmc

Thanks papercu,
I didnt think it was about the alternators but had to be more then that.
When I got my M1008 it only had one alternator but I dont see anything to indicate a comm rack was ever attached inside the bed.
I do have the 24v hook-up for comm but nothing to show it was a comm vehicle.
Beleive mine was used more as a pick up and delivery truck.

papercu

was used more as a pick up and delivery truck
That is the Army way, No matter what your MOS was, you did whatever they needed at the time. I went to AIT for 4 months and when I got to my first unit, they said we don't need a radioman, you are now in the Motor pool. Same thing at the next, we don't need radiomen, you are now in the missile shop. Wayne

bkwudzhom

I guess that explains the cable hookup and 4 eye bolts in the bed as well as the mounting plate in my passenger floor!

My usaf Cucv has those hold downs in the bed and mine also has the plate in the floor on the pass side is that the diffrence between a m1008 and an m1008A1 then that explains alot i also have a round cable plug in close to the ash tray

another thing was their a diffrence in the gvw weight of a regular m1008 and an m1008a1 as my cucv has alot more springs in the front then in the rear

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks