• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the difference with the ECV Humvees & Regular Humvees (M1123)

Hummer Guy

I know the newer ECV humvees have the bigger cooling system, turbo, A/C, 2 inch body lift, and heavier duty suspension but what else is different? Do these ECV humvees have a stronger frame like the m1123 has over the m998 and do it have any other huge difference, especially in the engine?

I'm wondering, would it be possible to turn a M1123 unto one of these ECV humvees in a cost-effective manner? I would like to some point in the future get one of the newer style Humvees but with what I'm seeing them go for in the auction seems very pricey for what seems to be the same truck with some upgrades. I have no issue doing the work, it's just the prices of the more expensive things like the turbo that's annoying

Action

ECV has a 6.5 turbo engine, longer cooling stack with extended nose, and rear diff cooler cover. The ECV still has the same brakes and transfer case.
REV is serial number 300,000 and up. These have different brakes, transfer case, frame rails, cooling fan, etc.
No HMMWV comes with a 2” body lift. It is only 1/2” , for clearance st the a-pillar (on turno models)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ECV should only have 1/2" body lift to clear the turbo to my understanding.

You can get most of the same benefits by doing a turbo upgrade, which doesn't require having the extended cooling stack, hood, grill, all that stuff.
One of the local group has been converting his A1 truck into an ECV style in the years I've known him. He did the turbo motor first, and just recently did the hood and nose extension. No idea if he did a different cooling stack at the same time.

Tarditi

Mil spec doesn't have ctis, under carriage protection, or a lot of the creature comforts. Also 24v. The electrical system is pretty different. Bumpers, too. If you're not terribly interested in the trappings of the civvy H1 you can source a humvee and get seats for a jeep

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the newer ECV humvees have the bigger cooling system, turbo, A/C, 2 inch body lift, and heavier duty suspension but what else is different? Do these ECV humvees have a stronger frame like the m1123 has over the m998 and do it have any other huge difference, especially in the engine?

I'm wondering, would it be possible to turn a M1123 unto one of these ECV humvees in a cost-effective manner? I would like to some point in the future get one of the newer style Humvees but with what I'm seeing them go for in the auction seems very pricey for what seems to be the same truck with some upgrades. I have no issue doing the work, it's just the prices of the more expensive things like the turbo that's annoying
Turbo trucks are going for less than M1123’s…

Hummer Guy

Turbo trucks are going for less than M1123’s…
How are the reliability on the turbo trucks and is there anything to be concerned about? I noticed a lot of the ones today had blowby on them.

I may end up just saving and getting a full slant back turbo this year or the end of the year, that's of course when I get done with some projects I'm working on

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are the reliability on the turbo trucks and is there anything to be concerned about? I noticed a lot of the ones today had blowby on them.

I may end up just saving and getting a full slant back turbo this year or the end of the year, that's of course when I get done with some projects I'm working on
Engine blow by bad. Turbo blow by easy to fix. Just rebuild or replace the cartridge. IMHO as someone who has owned and rebuilt and even added a turbo or two.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

when the GP guy is filming the supposed blowby From the oil filler tube on a cold day, it’s actually condensation and not blow by.
I’ve checked all the trucks I’ve ever purchased and I can’t remember any. A little blow by is no big deal.
I had a few customer trucks with mild blow by, motors ran perfect.

Gamble

Saved this previous post which I believe does a great job in explaining the differences in the trucks
---
Newer generations come with hundreds of improved and upgraded parts like 12k half shafts, differential coolers, stronger idler and pitman arms, ext. which may need to be replaced or will wear out quicker right out of auction if its an older model (early 2000's and before, or high mileage on gen 3 and below). Most people think all HMMWV's are the same which is not the case.

Gen 1: M998/M1097/M1045 ext. (1984-1993) 6.2L, 3 speed, most common components will need replacing (idler, pitman arm, ball joints, tires, bearings, ext.) They've likely sat for decades neglected in the elements. Can get them privately owned from $12k+

Gen 2: A1 series (M1097A1,ext)(1992-1993) Not many produced. Some improvements from Gen 1. Gen 3: A2 series M1045A2, M1123 ext. (1998-2005) MOST COMMON ON GOV PLANET (M1123)

Gen 3 is the absolute bare minimum you should by unless they are giving it away. The 6.5L and 4L80E Transmission are critical and will cost you more to install aftermarket than included in the purchase price difference between an A0,A1 and the A2. The 4L80E is a must have and the cost of parts and install is around $7,000 alone. The 6.2 to 6.5 engine is basically no difference. 6.2 reliability is reported to be better, actually. Basically the same engine with minimal torque and HP increase.

Gen 4: ECV Series M1167, M1165, M1151, M1152. (This is preferred) (2006 - 2011). Easily identified by the extended nose, 80mph spedo, factory A/C, tachometer, Wilwood brakes ext. First to feature the game changing 6.5L Turbo engine. This is worth some $$ (around $5,000 - $8,000 for parts and install. and it TAKES OFF. Massive upgrade and makes on-road drivability much more feasible and enjoyable.), factory AC (another $2500 - $3000), many upgraded drive train components, 12k half shafts, much better cooling, LED dash lights, improved everything basically. The M1165's commonly come with hard tops (with built in turret support and delete cover, making adding a turret a drop in, no need for the rare 10xx b-pillar turret support) and the iconic hard curtain. Add X-doors (if not included) and you're set. If you want a hard top, want to keep it cool inside, get less wet (yes, you will always get some water), or want a turret, this is the way to go: $7,000 4L80E $3,000 AC $2,500 Hard Top $1,000 Rear Curtain That's an extra $13,500 right there. And it wont be the correct roof or back for an ECV. Impossible to get your money back out of it. Decide what you want before you buy. Cheaper to buy with correct add-on's at auction.

Gen 5: REV Series M1167A1, M1165A1, M1151A1, M1152A1 (2007+ REV-B Serial Numbers 300,xxx+) Best HMMWV AM General has to offer. Reliability Enhanced Vehicle Everything the ECV series has and a massive upgrade to cooling (now drive train geared fan drive, not hydraulic), cooled differentials, upgrade to drive train and wear components, 24 bolt rims factory stock, parking brake enhancements, air lift brackets, ext.

Hummer Guy

Saved this previous post which I believe does a great job in explaining the differences in the trucks
---
Newer generations come with hundreds of improved and upgraded parts like 12k half shafts, differential coolers, stronger idler and pitman arms, ext. which may need to be replaced or will wear out quicker right out of auction if its an older model (early 2000's and before, or high mileage on gen 3 and below). Most people think all HMMWV's are the same which is not the case.

Gen 1: M998/M1097/M1045 ext. (1984-1993) 6.2L, 3 speed, most common components will need replacing (idler, pitman arm, ball joints, tires, bearings, ext.) They've likely sat for decades neglected in the elements. Can get them privately owned from $12k+

Gen 2: A1 series (M1097A1,ext)(1992-1993) Not many produced. Some improvements from Gen 1. Gen 3: A2 series M1045A2, M1123 ext. (1998-2005) MOST COMMON ON GOV PLANET (M1123)

Gen 3 is the absolute bare minimum you should by unless they are giving it away. The 6.5L and 4L80E Transmission are critical and will cost you more to install aftermarket than included in the purchase price difference between an A0,A1 and the A2. The 4L80E is a must have and the cost of parts and install is around $7,000 alone. The 6.2 to 6.5 engine is basically no difference. 6.2 reliability is reported to be better, actually. Basically the same engine with minimal torque and HP increase.

Gen 4: ECV Series M1167, M1165, M1151, M1152. (This is preferred) (2006 - 2011). Easily identified by the extended nose, 80mph spedo, factory A/C, tachometer, Wilwood brakes ext. First to feature the game changing 6.5L Turbo engine. This is worth some $$ (around $5,000 - $8,000 for parts and install. and it TAKES OFF. Massive upgrade and makes on-road drivability much more feasible and enjoyable.), factory AC (another $2500 - $3000), many upgraded drive train components, 12k half shafts, much better cooling, LED dash lights, improved everything basically. The M1165's commonly come with hard tops (with built in turret support and delete cover, making adding a turret a drop in, no need for the rare 10xx b-pillar turret support) and the iconic hard curtain. Add X-doors (if not included) and you're set. If you want a hard top, want to keep it cool inside, get less wet (yes, you will always get some water), or want a turret, this is the way to go: $7,000 4L80E $3,000 AC $2,500 Hard Top $1,000 Rear Curtain That's an extra $13,500 right there. And it wont be the correct roof or back for an ECV. Impossible to get your money back out of it. Decide what you want before you buy. Cheaper to buy with correct add-on's at auction.

Gen 5: REV Series M1167A1, M1165A1, M1151A1, M1152A1 (2007+ REV-B Serial Numbers 300,xxx+) Best HMMWV AM General has to offer. Reliability Enhanced Vehicle Everything the ECV series has and a massive upgrade to cooling (now drive train geared fan drive, not hydraulic), cooled differentials, upgrade to drive train and wear components, 24 bolt rims factory stock, parking brake enhancements, air lift brackets, ext.
Thank you, this is a really good explanation, I will keep this saved.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would a 2009 M1123 fall under?
ALL M1123 are 3rd gen trucks, so same as the M998A2 trucks.
All trucks of a specific series will be the same basic series, with only differences being like the pre-196900 vs post 196900 serial number engines, or the pre/post 300,000 serial number REV trucks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took delivery of a M1123 from GovPlanet in Yermo

What year would this vehicle be?
check out this thread:

Your 187303 looks like maybe in the 99-2000 range?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it was a blanket replacements of select components or more of checking and verifying everything is 100% operational and repair/replace as needed? It could also indicate that in 2009, it was upgraded to the USMC bolt on MAK Armour and red dot ac.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks