• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the going price for a set of hawker batteries?

Ddmk18

I am thinking of changing over to a two battery system in my m931a2. It has a set of hawker batteries I believe date code in 2012 I will have to check for sure. I was wondering what these would sell for they are in perfect shape. Reason I ask is this is how I would have to pay for my new batteries.

Ddmk18

I know they are but I someday plan on putting in 2 air ride seats. So besides the relocation kit that is to expensive for me I was going to change it to 2 optima yellow top 31 series and cut the battery box down then install the drivers seat minus the base on top of the smaller box with a quick release setup. That way I can remove it or use it as a third seat as I need it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used batteries usually aren't worth much because nobody knows how much life they have left in them. They may last for years or only last for a week.

If you are determined to run a two battery system, just take two of them out and leave two of them in there and you won't have to buy any new batteries.

Personally, I wouldn't give you over $50 a piece for them (if they are in fact 2012 manufacture) but I am cheap.

Last edited:

Adrian A

These batteries could be almost two years old. With no warranty for used batteries? I like the fifty dollar price too. Batteries could go any time.

I would think twice about optima batteries they aren't what they use to be we use to stock them, but in the last 6 years they started being made somewhere else and then nothing but returns so we no longer carry them, So just something to think about before wasting your money.If you still decide to get them look at them really close see if you can find the U.S.A. anywhere on them remember to look for the dots. This just my 2 cents

tobyS

I just went for my second set of O'Reilly, made by Deka (so they say). I think at 1400 cca each, they are as near to a four battery system as one can get with 2 batteries. One more set and I have all 3 trucks changed out. They list at $355 each but my dealer is price matching at $199.50. That is less than the cost of one Hawker. On the 817, they must have the terminals inward to avoid the cover shorting them out and on the 925 I had to remove the bottom boards, replacing them with 3/8" to keep the terminals out of the seat bottom.

I have two removed Hawkers that seem to be staying at around 8 volts...they show 01 as the year, while one other Hawker was made in 11 and it has taken a full charge. Two of the other batteries (lead acid Deka) have taken a full charge and 2 were entirely dead and went for core. So of the two trucks I changed so far, I have three good batteries, only one of which is a Hawker. I doubt that mixing them is a good idea. They don't seem to hold up on the third truck I have with a mixed set.

If your Hawkers are made in 012 they should be very good batteries and readily take a charge. Personally I think they should be worth $100 each if they stay around 12.7 volts. Core alone is $60. But then again...like said above...with no warranty, you might not get a fair-good price.

My newly acquired MEP 002 is going to love a pair of these big batteries.

Ddmk18

I know I can but I would like to have as many cranking amps as possible. We are an Interstate dealer so I get them at cost and they also deal in optima batteries. I want to stay with a agm battery rather than lead acid battery.

tobyS

Good luck! If your staying with AGM, why are you even changing? Suprman was right (above). If these are all 012 batteries, why not invest in a charger? Question...you do know how to fool a conventional charger to work on them, don't you?

Ddmk18

Yes I know how to charge them with a conventional charger. They don't need charged they are working perfect. I am changing them out to put 2 air ride seats in and was going to make the battery box smaller.

tobyS

Ok! Misunderstood you to say you were removing them, putting in "new batteries". Now I understand you are reducing from 4 to 2 for a space issue. Suprman says you should be fine with two, except in extreme cold. In a car/truck battery, I wouldn't go below 1000 cca if I could avoid it, with only two (back to new batteries), given your in Pennsylvania. That's my $.02.

emr

Yes. used batts are not worth much at all, No one knows whether they were kept fully charged or left to sit and sulphate, severely shortening there life, the hawker batts are only stated by the manufacturer for a 3 year life, We all know they will go longer, but used batts are a crap shoot even these, I have spoken with the tecks at hawker 3 times since buying a new set of these, and they should be brought to a full charge when installed and yes there are specific charge rates to fully charge these batts, Then and only then a maintainer will work keeping them up, the problem I see with these awesome batts is that they were probably never maintained properly because they are different. I will say Mine start my 925 like its a warm summer day at 20 here. If someone buys them they should get them to a full charge making sure they have a charge rate of at least 13.6 volts, then purchase a quality maintainer desulphator. I know so many people who have new batts of any kind and after a few months do not understand why the truck did not start, first they were not fully charged when purchased, second they need to be maintained on a charger, they are not magic, they lose power every day when not used, and short runs may never charge em and actually have them get weaker and weaker and sulphate up. fyi for some basics,

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Hawkers are agm glass mat batteries. If they are weak or no charge you need to deep charge them 10-20 amp charge for 24-36 hours. Sometimes they will not start taking a charge for 12 hours. There is a army tm that shows the charge and recovery procedure for these.

tobyS

M16 ty and Patracy, when I was pricing 8D batteries from Napa, they gave me a core price of $60 and said they would take a Hawker as trade. I did not sell a core for $60. AutoZone was the same and so was Big R farm store.

While I now have several to use as cores, the big 8D I purchased from O'Reilly is the only one I found with a cheaper core of $18. That puts a 2 battery set of 1400 cca at a cost of about $400, list $710.

I didn't mean to imply I sold junk cores for $60 but that that was avoided cost at three other stores.

How much are new Hawkers and how much do they give as core? I'll bet $100 for a 2012 used (but good condition) is cheap.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, Hawkers are great batteries but they aren't worth what they cost. I've seen them priced on the internet for $330 each. I can almost buy 4 group 31 batteries for what 1 hawker cost.