• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the perfect tire/trans/gear combination for M1028?

dc9137

I've seen different threads that mention some of this, but I'd be interested in everyone's opinion. What is the "perfect" tire size/trans/gear for a M1028?

I'm looking for all around performance. Able to go on the highway, light towing (small boat or camper), and some offroading but nothing too crazy.

Right now I'm thinking of going with a 4" ORD lift with 35's, but want to plan for future possibilities. I'm not sure if 37's, a different trans or gearing would be worthwhile. Thanks!!!

Whitfield

No response?

Don't want to hyjack, but maybe it will work better if you throw up a combo and let others shoot holes in it.

I'm looking at 37" surplus hummer tires stock 4.56:1 gears and 4L80E over drive trans. Hoping for a great daily driver commuter @ 65 mph / 16+ MPG and looking to stick it in 3rd while towing anything of size (single axle boat / camper).

I've got a line on an unknown big block 4L80e @ the u wrench it for $250

dc9137

Right now I'm thinking nv4500, 205, 4.56 with 35's. At least long term. I've also got a spare 6.2 I'll rebuild eventually to use as well.

I'm going to work on the basics getting it running smoothly now and work on all the other stuff slot over time. That's the theory anyway :)

I like the 37's with the stock 4.56 gears and stock TH400. That's the most painless start and then if you want to go farther you can. I believe in testing improvements as you go instead of reworking the whole truck (and the wallet) right off the get go.

dc9137

I like the 37's with the stock 4.56 gears and stock TH400. That's the most painless start and then if you want to go farther you can. I believe in testing improvements as you go instead of reworking the whole truck (and the wallet) right off the get go.
Will 37's fit on the stock 16" wheels or would I need something beefier?

southdave

The nv4500 I find have 241 t cases the 208 is direct fit and swap.. Belive it or not the hardest thing to find is the clutch pedal. I have found eveything in a junkyard before 600 bucks. You will have to fab up crossover and mount.. Note the pre 96 are the cheaper one