• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the reason behind motor oil in the fuel tank..?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the reason behind adding motor oil in the fuel tank..?

I have been told several times this past year since all my trucks and toys run on diesel fuel I should put a quart of motor oil directly into the fuel tank every 4 fill up's..! I was thinking 1 quart per tank.

What is this added lubricating property used for...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...![thumbzup]

Don

Last edited:

scoutmanadam

on older rigs, the injector pump and the parts within it. with all the new stuff they have added to , or purified out of diesel in the last years, i have heard that it has lost some of its lubricating properties

Capt.Marion

It helps to lubricate the internals of the injector pump. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (pump Diesel) doesn't provide the same amount of lubrication as regular diesel--which they of course don't sell anymore. The injector pumps on most older (90s and older) diesels rely on the diesel fuel itself to lubricate the pump mechanisms. Newer trucks (and some older trucks) use oil from the engine oiling system to lubricate the IP, making the less lubrication of ULSD a non-issue.

Others will recommend using an additive like Power Service's Diesel Kleen or Diesel 911, or tossing in one of those little bottles of 2-cycle oil with each fill up. Each is as good as the other. Just do your homework beforehand. There was actually a good thread on this a while ago--you might search for it. I think it was called "2 cycle oil" or something like that.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I am a lucky guy. I have a friend who passed away 9 months ago. Tom has 32 cases 12 quarts per case, of Amoco 20-50 motor oil. Would this oil be a good weight to blend with diesel fuel.....? I guess it would not matter since the smallest tank is 20 gallons. Thanks for the input..Don

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FUD
Ask yourself, if you put something in every 4 tanks, what happens during the last half of the 3rd fill up?
What you put in the tank would be so diluted there would be zero benefit.

The ULSD has additives in it to prevent hurting class fit parts, just like oil has additives in it to protect the parts it lubes. The only issue you might see is a fuel leak because the additives might attack the o-rings, but, if the pump had no issues with the LSD that was intro'd a few years back, chances are that you won't see in issue with ULSD.

Chief_919

Motor oil will help lubricity, but is not the bets choice. 2 cycle engine oil is far better.

And 1 qt per tank is way, way too much if you just want lubricity.

Preacherboy

stanadyne, the maker of your IP makes an additive...performance formula and lubricity formula. I personally use the lubricity formula, but our church's bus just gets TC-W3 2 cycle oil.

Of course, with your mechanical IP on your CUCV a quart every fill-up with your free brand new oil would be fine. When that runs out get some stanadyne or 2 cycle or Howe's or whatever is available from that lubricity study. I read that a long time ago and chose stanadyne (the manufacturer of my IP).

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The report did not rate the Stanadyne very well and it was only 1/4 as good as 2% Bio Fuel and more money. I did some more checking on the net so as not to just use one report and it still seems that most aditives do not work as well as Bio Fuel just for lube but some have other advantages. I am just woundering if Canola Oil from the supermarket at $4 a gallon and good for 3 tanks would work. Eddy

8) Stanadyne Lubricity Formula​
Lubricity Only​
Demulsifier​
, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free

HFRR 479​
, 157 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)

Iceman3005

2 cycle oil is the best overall for two reasons, first it was meant too be burned in the engine, second it supposed too be a lubricant for engine components.

emr

In my opinion its an opinion and old wife's tale, BUT the truth is...Most people do not do it, and most trucks never had it done, and they have been fine, that is a fact no can argue with :) There are always people who believe in a different way something needs to be done or something is not good enough even though it has been the same for many years and still in service, like just running diesel alone, But I guess the question for me IS... are there additives that work in extending the life of ALL components in the engine thru oil or fuel ????????? I personally think that at this time in history and the products available the answer is YES! but""" needed""" a BIG no. :) I also believe that these products are not miracles and only work for the time they are actually in the system and not long after like some may claim, to me that just makes sense, but again there may be some truth to there adds, but I choose some oil additives and leave the fuel to itself, and my truck will last at least as long as anybody else's... :driver:

Jersey4x4

The Standyne pump in a CUCV was designed to run on JP8 which is basically ultra low sulfur K1 Kero and that has almost zero lube in it. I have been running JP8 for a few years and have had no problems and also have had no smoke, unless I run regular pump Diesel. I do however add about every 5000 miles a quart of ATF and maybe every 10,000 miles I add 20oz of seafoam just after the oil change. I personally put a little over 60,000 miles on the truck since it came from the gov and have had no major mechanical issues relating to fuel. I change the engine oil every 10,000 miles and fuel filter about every 6 months or if there is a notice in performance and it is fine. All though I do run synthetic engine oil and a good WIX filter.

Iceman3005

I started too add 2 cycle because my dodge cummins I had a couple of years ago the pump fried due to no lubricant in the fuel, once the truck was fixed I started too add 2 cycle, I sold the truck 2 years after pump was fixed, now that I have a diesel again I put 8 ounces of 2 cycle in every fill up, I don't want too go through another fried pump because I didn't practice preventive maintenance. I am not saying the pump won't fail but why take that chance by not putting something in the fuel for lubrication.