• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the scoop on the Government Rebuilds???

Elwenil

Ok, I know just about all of us has seen an Ebay ad, or even Eastern's site where they say a particular truck was "rebuilt by the US Government in (insert year here)". Now most of these ads and so forth show a pic of a MWO tag that is normally attached to the cab near the driver's seat and if you Google the number on the tag, it comes up as the Work Order for installing the seat belts.

Now is it common or even possible that the entire truck was rebuilt at the same time? It was my understanding that these trucks were not remanufactured like the Oshkosh trucks are now, but that they only parts and assemblies rebuilt or replaced as needed. Should we not be looking for more specific tags on each assembly (engine, axles, trans, etc) or is there actually a MWO tag that means that the whole truck was rebuilt?

So what's the scoop guys? :?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your statement of just replacing needed parts and systems is correct. I could be wrong.

Having said that, it looks like my truck (Rebuilt by Tooele) got a new engine and AT LEAST a new drivers side front window, frame and all, as it looks new. I've not actually crawled up under the truck to inspect anything else yet. The rest of the truck looks original.

jim

da_sgt

My 1966 has rebuild tags on everything, winch, motor, t-case etc. It also had CARC and rustproofing done at the same time. All this has a date of 11/91. It has the MWO tag, but it just has a date of 11/91. So the entire truck was redone in 91.

Heres a tag on the T-case :wink:

Low-Tech-Redneck

Our deuce had a cab tag indicating "MWO PERFORMED" Maintenence of way perhaps? In any event, there's no seriel number or work order on the tag to say exactly what that process covered, just a date.

Walter's truck has Mass. National Guard tags showing a rebuild in 91'

Elwenil

Here's the truck at Eastern that I was referenceing:
http://www.easternsurplus.net/273.html

And the pic of the MWO tag:
http://www.easternsurplus.net/273a.JPG

PDF file of the 9-2320-200-35-1 MWO:
http://www.cucv.net/064977.pdf

1. PURPOSE.
The purpose of this modification is to provide occupant restraint system (Seat Belts) to minimize
occupant injuries during vehicle accidents.
so it is possible for a whole truck to be rebuilt at once? If so, how does one tell? Look at each part for an individual tag?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me put on my MWO coordinator hat from the Army.......

The MWO tag means that ONE specific MWO was performed. Could of been at the unit level (commonly), or depot(uncommon). Does NOT mean that the whole truck was rebuilt. Rebuild tags mean the truck was rebuilt, AND any MWO's that came out before the truck was rebuilt were performed.

For humvee, any humvee built (and I forget the exact #) before serial # 15,000 DIDNT have the power steering cooler. Uncle Sam decided that the coolers were needed to be put on ALL the trucks, so a MWO came out saying serial # 1 -15,000 NEEDED the MWO, and it was to be performed at the unit level. Trucks coming off the line after serial # 15,001 DID have the cooler from the factory, but there would NOT be a MWO tag, as it was factory installed, not MWO'ed.. MWO's are very specific as to the NSN of the vehicle needing the MWO, the serial # range, and a "how quick this needs to be done" timeframe. Routine could be years to get them all MWO'ed, Emergency MWO's sometimes deadline the ENTIRE fleet until they are performed. And that all gets done in a matter of DAYS....

Hope this helps... basically, MWO is ONE specific thing was done. Does NOT mean it was rebuilt.

da_sgt

Let me clearify my statement, everything on my truck has a rebuild tag of 11/91 including CARC and rustproofing. I did'nt mean to imply that since it also has a MWO tag dated 11/91, the entire truck was rebuilt. It has a MWO tag that just has 11/91, so I don't know what the MWO was :roll:

Low-Tech-Redneck

Ours is the same way, the MWO tag is on it, with the same date (1991) but no indication of what was done.

I'm willing to bet the seatbelts were added at that time, they look suspiciously like 1990's era ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks