• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the secret for split rims?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does one get them apart? I tried with some 6 foot pry bars, but didnt get the split ring off.. Any secrets that I should be aware of?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help me out.. How does one break the bead? Humvee tires and combat rims Im good at, but these make me feel pretty dumb. The tires I dont care about, I'll sawsall them if I have to.

poppop

Pour soapy water around the bead to help lossen it. Tire hammer and possibly a sledge to hit it with. I have used gasoline on stuborn ones. it seems to soak in around the bead.

jasonjc

You need a tire hammer( duckbill sleg) or slid hammer . you hit the tire just above the ring this will force the duckbill down between the ring and tire bead thus breaking the bead you have to work it all around the wheel (use a spay bottle of sapy water it helps ) when the bead is down use the pry bar at the split in the ring one side has a notch open it up then work the ring off by lifting up walking it around. I just broke down 6 of these yester day maybe I should have taken step by step pic. next time i will

eddiec

soak the bead real good, then you can try driving the truck on the tire right against the rim. if that does not work, cut the bad boys off.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
you have to push the tire (where it contacts the wheel) toward the center of the rim.
I know the following didn't work for me...
driving a pickup onto the sidwall
driving a farm tractor onto the sidewall
(see a pattern developing?)

MrAugust

take em to a truck tyres fitter shop, i had trouble getting rubber off the rims after hours getting rims off... hammer... n more hammer..... spring off they came then tyres didnt budge....

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I will be buying a duckbill hammer eventually (what the guy at the tire store used to make short work of mine)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
On the flat tire I had repaired a couple of weeks ago I stood right there and got a lesson from the tire guy. If I would have tried it without the lesson I would have never got them off. It was'nt anything like how I though they were. Pretty simple concept actually, just requires some labor and the right tools. When he refilled the tire, he stood right over the tire hitting it with a sledge to help seat the bead as the tire was being pumped full of air without a safety cage :shock: . I was cowering behind my truck thinking I was going to witness this guys death. After 70 psi, he picked up the tire and rolled it to the safety cage where he was then going to inflate it to max of 120 psi.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
emmado22 said:
I'll forgo that suggestion, DJ......................
:ditto:

Otter

Hello,
I bought a duckbill tire hammer, for about $35.00. I have changed about 15-18 tires by myself. Dirty grunt work, I love it. Way cheaper than paying a tire shop $20.00+ per tire to change. I use WD-40 to lube the bead/split ring area, more is better! Hammer time!
otter

jasonjc

Kenny I have the duck bill hammer the slid looks like it mite be easyer. I also have a hyd bead breaker I got off ebay it did not work had a hyd shop"fixed" it. it still does not work aua aua aua
As for wd40 I was told that it would eat the rubber I just use a littel dawn with water in a spay bottle and that works great.
I have more time and back than I do $$ and with all the trucks I have I need to do all the work myself. Unless I can sucker a buddy into helping rofl