• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the trick to changing the water pump belt on the M809?

Got the radiator out and have all of the belts off with the exception of the water pump belt. I don't see any adjustment to loosen this belt up? I walked the old belt off by using a screwdriver and wrenching the engine over. The new belt is tighter and will not install this way. Do I have to pull the water pump off? The belt system setup on this engine altogether seems kind of clunky for a combat type of repair. The M35 that I had a few years back was 3 times as easy. Let me know whats the trick???

Truck M812 NHC 250 Cummins with 7 belt accesory drive setup.

Thanks,
Andy

papercu

water

It has been a while since I changed one but you just loosen the pump, it is made to rotate(and not harm the gasket) so that so the belt will come off and back on.
The instruction are found in TM 9-2320 -260-20 Section 3-54 Water Pump Drivebelt Maintenance. Wayne

if you dont want to lose to much coolant you should drain the system down at least below the water pump level before loosening the bolts around the pump. then after loosening the bolts just rotate it like papercu said. it is made off center so as you rotate it the pulley moves closer or further from driven hub. use care as the copper washer (or gasket) behind the pump is hard to locate should you damage it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks