• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats this?

sandcobra164

The MK-48 can drive off like that. On the back axle, there's a lockout strut that has to be in place or it'll fall flat on it's nose. It's akin to riding a mechanical bull when not attached to a rear body unit and it's a jerky side to side ride when hooked to a rear body unit and you steer it thanks to the articulated joint in between the two.

treeguy

I went to an open house at Otis AFB here on the cape and saw one of the M1078A1's. Doesn't have winches, but what I want to know is where can I get one. Very cool, the interior is roomy and sits 3, the one in the middle is up and back from the front two seats. Exterior has lots of storage/tool compartments, tow bar rack. The bed is a Lot higher than the deuce but is very similar, they are using aluminum for the racks, bows, and troop seats (way good idea - want some). They also have glad hands front and rear. Very nice truck if you like the cab over design although they are not graceful to get in or out of. I saw one on the highway last week, tires humming and crusing around 55 or more.:drool:

Attachments

sandcobra164

They hit the governor at about 62 indicated by the Speedo. Hold it most of the time but some hills will put you back to 55. You must be at an outdated A/F show, the M113 is there, the Cat 130G Motorgrader, the Cat 420 Backhoe, and that old scoop loader. Some of that stuff is even being phased out by the Marine Corps. The Air Force likely hasn't used that stuff in a while, maybe a few years even!

back from the dead thread...you can buy these now.

www.brontotrucks.com

got to sit in one at the dealer today...everything still appears mil-spec.
cummins ISB-6.7 with 7 speed allison.they are being sold as mine/oilfield trucks.plenty of options for accesories.

don't have 150 grand though...

firefirefire90

ok not trying to just keep an old thread alive, but figured better here then in a whole new thread.

what in the sam hill is this thing, is this part of a larger unit that was just to large to be shipped in on a lowboy? or is it some kind of tug for aircraft? or something similar
my goodness, Mk48 LVS's look retarded without the trailer rofl

SMOKEWAGON66

i think the FMTV are nice looking rig....
compared to what? lol....I have driven many FMTVs to include LMTVs and the like, M1078, M1083, M1088 and M1089 and in my profesional opinion (profesional as in trained US Army Truck Driver) the FMTV's were the biggest piles of steaming cr*p i have ever had the misfortune to be assigned. I did not like the cabover design, the HUGE windshield, the thin skin in the front, and i hated the suspension and drivetrain. These things get stuck in holes my old honda civic could have gone through. The big windshield and thin front skin wouldnt take driving over trees like an M939 series with a winch could and posi track drive axles that would slip on the wrong sides at the most inoppurtune times. The brake system was prone to freezing up in cold weather (AK) because they had no way to keep the water out of the lines, and the ABS wasnt programmed the way it should be for a truck that size...many an intersection i have slid through sideways because the truck didnt want to stop on ice.....

ok rant over lol....sometimes i think they look OK when theyre clean and what not..but then i remember what they are then just laugh at them.

TIGERFANS2

they hit the governor at about 62 indicated by the speedo. Hold it most of the time but some hills will put you back to 55. You must be at an outdated a/f show, the m113 is there, the cat 130g motorgrader, the cat 420 backhoe, and that old scoop loader. Some of that stuff is even being phased out by the marine corps. The air force likely hasn't used that stuff in a while, maybe a few years even!
ang

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks