• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel and Axel Hub Dimensions

FromTheDust

I am looking for some help finding the dimensions for the side view of HEMTT 20" rims and the 2 1/2 ton Rockwell Axels Center Dimensions as well. I have been trying to research this best I could to this point. At one time I was going to convert and widen split rims to work with my 16X20.00 XZL's, I have moved on and now have four 10 lug HEMTT wheels to mount the XZL's on. The last thing to do is modify the wheels to play with the truck.

So far I have the dimensions for the cut away view of the HEMTT rims, Stock Deuce Rims and the Stock Deuce Rims bolt together project that was completed. Thanks to Gringletaube as that is the primary source for many of these if not all of the images included.

If anyone has the side view showing the dimensions of the 6 Lug Pattern on the 2 1/2 ton axels with the center hub dimension as well as the stud hole sizes and bevels to allow for a true mate up. Also if anyone has the dimensions of the HEMTT rim inter dimension as well as the dimensions for the holes that the studs bolt the rim together.

I will be measuring these dimensions myself and coming up with two sets of dimensions to overlap and create one piece of 3/8" plate. Yes, I am making HEMTT 6 Lug Adapter Plates. If all goes well I think I may be able to get them to market for $110 each if anyone is interested after all the R&D id done and I have a good set myself. I am hoping to create a good build thread as well.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and Welcome!

The Deuce bolt pattern is 6 on 8-3/4"; the HEMTT (5ton) has 10 on 11-1/4".
Not clear why you still wanted a side view of a Deuce wheel center since all the important dims. are already shown in those drawings? Anyways here is one, with more data... (below)

As for lug hole bevel angle options and specs, see this thread.

Also attached a drawing for the (16) studs that hold the HEMTT wheel halves together.
Normally when recentering with a bolt-on plate, the stock center portion including the 10 lug holes gets cut out slightly inward from the oval valve stem hole, at 13.40" diameter.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

G.

Attachments

FromTheDust

Tom,
Do you know where I can get these for less than $85 a piece around Northern California? 100dollarman is not selling these anymore, he did have them for $50 a plate. It just seemed that I could just draw up the plate and get it machined as the cheapest option. Then I figured I could sell 'em if anyone wanted them, if not it really dosen't matter I just need 4 :grin:

G,
It's pretty much a visual thing for my mind, the center dimensions help.

Thanks guys

FromTheDust

Let me just think out loud here for a minute. As far as I can tell the adapter plate will need a pilot hole 6.457" in diameter. The next ring will be at 8.75 inches diameter and will have the (6) Lug Bolt pattern holes all 60 degrees apart, the wheel studs are 3/4-16 thread making the holes .750 in diameter with an 82 degree countersink. The next ring will be at 16.44 inches for the (16) wheel studs, each hole 22.5 degrees apart, these too are 3/4-16 thread but call for a .811 diameter hole with no countersink. In between the two rings the original ten bolt pattern will need to be cut out at the 13.40 diameter station.

I still have to figure out how deep to countersink the lug bolt pattern. Also the outer diameter of the adapter plate needs to be determined, however the inside face will need a bevel to match up true against the face and inter diameter of the wheel.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me just think out loud here for a minute. .......................... the wheel studs are 3/4-16 thread making the holes .750 in diameter .....................................
That I would NOT do...!
(...unless it was intended as a joke only...:smile:)

G.

FromTheDust

Yeah, the wheel stud holes are 1.22" in diameter with the 6 on 8.75 pattern, they will have a bevel of 82 deg countersink and it will be 1/8" deep, that leaves 1/8" countersunk 1/8" full thickness and 1/8" countersunk which is what it looks like was stock. It was a misinterpretation of another thread last night that some measurements of spare wheel have cleared that up a bit.

Still need to get that valve stem hole figured into the process and the outside diameter measurement. The adapter plates will be welded in place so a little play might be okay there until welded tight. I am thinking four tapered .811" diameter alignment pins to hold the plate in place during welding. And still have to determine which process I will use to cut the old wheel center out.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the wheel stud holes are 1.22" in diameter with the 6 on 8.75 pattern, they will have a bevel of 82 deg countersink and it will be 1/8" deep, that leaves 1/8" countersunk 1/8" full thickness and 1/8" countersunk which is what it looks like was stock.
Drawing below shows exactly how it looks like, with the lug nut in place (stock Deuce center plate).
Also for comparison two options for 3/8" custom plates, with #1 being stronger, of course but requiring the rear hubs to be flipped.
.....and the outside diameter measurement.
17.86"

BTW, If I was going your route I would choose 1/2" steel. That way there would be plenty material for a facing operation on the back side (or both faces), to greatly reduce wobble (lateral run-out), at least...

G.

Edit: added the same in PDF, for higher definition...

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

Can someone get me the outside diameter dimension of the hub at the wheel mounting area please...sorta quick. I have something going for work that I need it for. Basically the largest diameter dimension you can get across the hub.

THANKS!!!!!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone get me the outside diameter dimension of the hub at the wheel mounting area please...sorta quick. I have something going for work that I need it for. Basically the largest diameter dimension you can get across the hub.

THANKS!!!!!!!
I think you mean the large flange where the studs are seated...
that would be 11.02" O.D.
Otherwise, the next largest diameter is the axle flange, at 6.437"

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks