• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Backspace Adapter Q's. M1008

Disciple

I just ordered my "new" HMMWV 12-bolt bead-lock rims complete with rubber run-flats and 95% tread 37" radials! I'm pretty excited. I will be getting the beast lifted 4" hopefully within the next month. Now for the Backspace Adapters!

I don't know what the Dana 60's studs are or what I should be getting. I found a couple of websites that have them for sale but the info they post on them doesn't help me. They all say stuff like 8x170 or 8x6.5 etc. I know I need an 8 to 8 lug, 2", just not sure of the stud size.

Anybody do this recently?

Matt65

If you decide against spacers, my 16.5" factory wheels have worked well on the Hummer Radials. They were $50 for the set. More details in the link in my signature.

Hightechken

How thick do the spacers need to be to fit older steel Hummer wheels to the front of my M1031? (The old Hummer steel wheels fit on the back of the M1031 just fine, But the steering linkage is in the way in front. The Hummer wheel has too much offset)
Or am I further off just putting the Hummer tires on the original M1031 wheels?

Disciple

why did you not get the h1's made with the correct back spacing ?
Cuz I'm a broke-@$$. Tight budget on this project. Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered my 2" spacers yesterday from Billet Wheel Adapters.com Wheel Adapter Super Store. Final price: $114 with free shipping.

I ordered my wheels (12-bolt bead-lock's w/runflats installed) and the 37" MTR Radials w/ 95% tread from MILITARYOFFROADTIRES.NET - We're declaring war on high tire prices!. Total with shipping for 4: $790! Can't beat that with a dead cat!

On to the lift!

EF-5

Do you have to run spacers when putting the HMMVW wheels on? I've read some where you don't necessarily have to as long as you trim enough so that it doesn't rub. Is that correct?

Also if you do put spacers on, is it only in the front, or on all four wheels?

Thanks!

Disciple

I just lifted my truck last night and went through all of this. You need a 2" 8x6.5 to 8x6.5 backspace adapter and 4" suspension lift on a M1008 when running the 37" x 12" x 16.5" HMMWV bead-lock wheels and tires. You only need them in the front for clearance, but it looks a little goofy in my opinion to only run them in the front. I will be getting spacers for the back soon for mine. You need them up front because without them the wheel touches the tie-rod end on the driver's side. You may also hit other things when turning, articulated, etc. But just putting them on the wheels hit and won't seat without doing some pretty serious rubbing. The other option is to get wheels with re-centered hubs to correct the backspacing issue. I paid $114.50 for two of the spacers and got free shipping here: Billet Wheel Adapters.com Wheel Adapter Super Store. NOTE: you will need to supply new lug nuts to mount these to your axle when using these spacers! Your stock lug nuts will not fit into the hole in the spacer. I didn't figure this out until Sunday night at 1 am after working on my lift for 5 hours. Had to drive around all day with 37"s in the back and 31"s on the front! Urgh! NAPA doesnt stock a lug nut that has a small enough head to fit into the hole with a standard thread. The lug nuts and posts that come on the adapter use a metric thread and are to mount the wheel to the adapter. I had to go to the local Firestone shop to find a metric hex lug (that's all they had that would fit) but with standard threads that was small enough to get into the hole. Also, only a thin walled chrome socket will fit in there to mount these. Finay got it all wrapped up tonight and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Truck looks awesome, rides great, goes faster, handles tighter, etc. Hope this helps. I will be posting pics of my build in another thread soon.

Disciple

Btw: I got my wheels and tires here: MILITARYOFFROADTIRES.NET - We're declaring war on high tire prices!. I got 4 ea. 37" x 12.5" x 16.5" Goodyear MT Military OZ HMMWV tires already mounted and balanced with 95% tread on the 12-bolt bead-lock wheels WITH the run-flat inserts already installed INCLUDING SHIPPING from GA to MN for $800. Killer deal. Super pleased with them. I still need to order one more for a spare, but figured I'd wing it for a couple of weeks. When they arrived I ended up with three of them having black wheels and one desert tan, so I cleaned them up and rattle canned them all flat black. Looking great.

Last edited:

Disciple

One more thing before someone jumps in and asks. I ordered my lift kit from ORD here: Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance. These guys are great. They specialize in older full-size Chevy's and know the CUCV's well. I talked with the owner and he has a M1028 with a 4" lift and a Cummins 6bt under the hood. Uses it as his tow rig. I bought their "Basic" 4" lift with the shackle flip in the rear and added the swaybar disconnect/aligner. It all went in flawlessly and works great. It included Tuff Country HD front leafs, 4 Tuff Country shocks, a drop pitman arm from Skyjacker, longer braided brake lines, shackle flip brackets (which we had to notch with a cutting torch to clear my hitch receiver frame), Dana 60 U-bolt kit, and the swaybar corrector and all the necessary hardware. I would really recommend checking your swaybar bushings at the frame. I didn't order new ones but they're toast. Will be ordering those and the bolt-on steering box brace soon. We had to fab up a new longer arm for the rear brake proportioning valve and I need to run longer tubes to my diff breathers still. The body now sits 6.5" higher than before! Looks sweet!

lmj301

Thanks for the update! So what happens without the lift? What if you have spacers and do some fender trimming? I can deal with some reduced turning lock.

I don't have a 1008, I am just doing research if it will fit my current and future needs. Thanks for the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks