• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Bearing Nuts Running Loose!

Hey guys so this evening I replaced the second class 3 leak from a wheel seal. I found the nuts that secure the bearings on the shaft to be nearly at the end of the threads of the shaft, on both the outer nut has rubbed on the axle shaft. When re-installing I tightened the up and had a nuts worth of thread. Any ideas on why this would happen, maybe my seals were not bad at all, do you think I should take apart the other two and check?

Also I was reading on a wheel seals thread about packing the bearings with grease? and if not to remove the seal ring?
:tigger:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys so this evening I replaced the second class 3 leak from a wheel seal. I found the nuts that secure the bearings on the shaft to be nearly at the end of the threads of the shaft, on both the outer nut has rubbed on the axle shaft. When re-installing I tightened the up and had a nuts worth of thread. Any ideas on why this would happen, maybe my seals were not bad at all, do you think I should take apart the other two and check?

Also I was reading on a wheel seals thread about packing the bearings with grease? and if not to remove the seal ring?
:tigger:
Was the lock ring between them seated properly in the hole and are the little pins that go into the lock ring in good shape?

http://www.memphisequipment.com/M923-M939-5-Ton-6x6-Truck/M923-M939-Axle/7007089.html
http://www.memphisequipment.com/M923-M939-5-Ton-6x6-Truck/M923-M939-Axle/7346884.html
http://www.memphisequipment.com/M923-M939-5-Ton-6x6-Truck/M923-M939-Axle/7346884.html

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seals have a hard time sealing with loose bearings. Was it on the left side? They have a tendency to unwind, due to the direction of motion (but this is not limited to just the left side). Its really important to lock the bearings in place, and understand how the lock procedure works. After loosing the the hub/duals/& drum, on a trailer, the importance of this procedure was driven home to me.

OTR trucks rely on gear lube (no outside seal), to lube the wheel bearings, but the bearings are pre-lubed, before returning them to service. If you don't pre-lube them, pack them with grease, 1st.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Are those locking rings required to be changed each time it can they be reused. I'm having a reacuring leak on the left side.bwill be looking into it this weekend

The two were on the right side, the lock rings were in place. I have been a heavy duty mechanic for almost 10 years and have never had a bearing on a truck packed with grease, but hey there is a first time for everything! So If we want it to be wet hub then remove outer seal.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The two were on the right side, the lock rings were in place. I have been a heavy duty mechanic for almost 10 years and have never had a bearing on a truck packed with grease, but hey there is a first time for everything! So If we want it to be wet hub then remove outer seal.

Then you should not open the front hubs up cause you are in for a big surprise. You can do both on the rear bearings it doesn't hurt it. just a lot of these trucks after being rebuilt sit for awhile on yards or depots waiting to get shipped or sold they sometimes do it to prevent the bearing from going dry since it may not move but 200 yards in 2yrs.