• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel bearing replacement

Aviator85

Back when I first brought the beast home I was changing the hub oil and notice one of the hubs had water contamination. I didnt think too much of it and just changed the oil and called it good. After driving around for a while i noticed that the same hub sounded just a touch too loud.

So now Ive embarked on changing all the bearings, races, upper/lower control arm, ball joints, and radius rod. Just for the fact that the vehicle is an 87 and Ive got everything torn apart anyways.

Now that Ive gotten into the hub Ive noticed some rust on the end of the spindle and rust on the spur gear and pitting as well as rust on the spur gear bearings and races. Ive already ordered a new spur and drive gear and already have new bearing and races. But Ive run into a problem getting one of the races out. There doesnt seem to be any way to get it pulled out.

Ive tried a slide hammer of various sized arms but nothing seems to be able to grab onto the lip of the race. I was able to run my finger along the bottom edge to try and feel a lip but there doesnt seem to be much of a lip except for one side for some reason so nothing really to grab on to. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

-ZB
20170816_155709[1].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks