• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Bearing Woes

top_prop

So shade_tree and I have been picking away at the frankenblazers front left wheel as it was getting hot on short trips...

I drove it to Shade_tree's house as his driveway is level and mine isn't.. He Pretty well diagnosed it as a brake issue, but we wanted to pull and repack the bearings, so we got the TM out and went to work. I've got an 86 M1009... First thing I noticed was the hub seemed loose and when we started to take it out the Oring that holds the hub locker on was there but warn and basically non existant. I'm assuming what remains is the remanant of a standard 3" o ring (its part 6 below)... can anyone confirm this? I hope the right one is ok and will serve as an example but I won't know until I tear into it.

As we were tearing it down we couldn't' figure out why the Washer Key was desinged the way it was... to make a long story short, the thing was broken and appeard to us to be snap ring, but it was just a perfect crack through where one of the hole for the pin off the inside nut goes in (#13 below)... we figured this out when it broke at another spot when we went to put it all together after cleaning and packing new grease in the bearings.... so I got a truck up on blocks blocking shade_tree's "fire-mareo" project (its half fire bird, half camareo... you should ask him about it for a laugh... but I digress...

any one got any ideas where to get a new washer key (part 13 below) TM part number 17-01-014-001? I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow morning unless someones got a better idea.

I also need a new oring seal... number 6 below called a 'packing preformed' part number 13446. suggestions on this one wanted!

Attachments

Last edited:

top_prop

just figured out that warn makes a replacement...

WARN Manual Hub Spindle Nut Kit 32720 is what I'm buying... will have to wait for it to arrive before I can drive the truck again...

Considering buying new locking hubs as well...

Matt1031

No idea what the Army calls it, but Dana/Spicer calls it a spindle lock washer. I have a couple for a Dana 60, but that won't help you, because 10 bolts use a smaller spindle.

I'm 99% sure that a Dana 44 uses the same spindle hardware as a 10 bolt. So I looked up the kit for a 44.
Dana 44 Spindle Nut Kit | Dana 44 | WFOConcepts.com

Quad 4x4's parts page calls for the same part P/N for Dana 44 spindle nuts and 10 bolt spindle nuts, so I'd say pretty confidently they are indeed interchangeable. Check the link below. He's expensive, but I have ordered parts from him before and his customer service is "above and beyond" excellent.
QUAD 4 x4

If you're a junkyard scrounger, GM started the switch from Dana 44's to 10 bolts around 1979"ish" model year. 1973-78 blazer will have a Dana 44 up front and a 12 bolt rear, 1980-87 will most likely have 10 bolt front and rear just like your m1009, but without the rear locker.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is probably a blue million of them in pick a part yards across this great land. Any spicer or drivetrain place would probably have that part on the shelf. As far as that seal, that seats in the lockout cap and has little to do with securing the hub. There is an internal snapring that holds the hub in place.

firecontrol86

When I did my wheel bearings the same part broke on mine. I had to order it from Autozone(or Advance?) from their website. I couldn't find a single place that had it at the store. Pretty cheap though, $9 for 2 of them. I've actually got an extra one from that job, so if you get yours in and it's the wrong one I can mail you the other one I have.

top_prop

Wow... great replies...

Some great info and buys their Mat1031... about half of what I paid for the Warn kit...

and firecontrol86, thanks for the offer... I may take you up on it if the warn comes in and doesn't work, but I don't think that is likely.

I know the missing seal doesn't have much to do with keeping the bearing in there, but it does have a lot to do with keeping crud and water out! I ponied up for new premium warn hubs too... so I hope that will fix the hub seal issue.

Last edited:

top_prop

The Warn Spindle nut Kit and premium hubs went on fairly easy. Especially with Shade_Tree's help.

After a lot of research I'm pretty confident Matt1031 is right: the Corperate 10bolt that the M1009 comes with has the same spindle size and set up as the DANA44... the kit I used was listed for either axel

We took pics.. I'll make a step by step thread later (my internet at home is down and we are not allowed to connect memory cards to the computers here at work) and post a link to it here.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/7...ing-servicing-hub-replacement.html#post902101

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

All the wanted parts are mass production. Ask your Chevy dealer. Bearings are also available at the local bearing shop (industrial bearings etc.). Bearings have a number, here it should be a Timken number. Replace,ment is therefor very simple.
Other parts, if not available at the Chevy / GM dealer any more, are NAPA Parts and therefor available through the Advanced Auto Parts, American Autoparts and horwthe shops are called.
I myself get all these parts even in germany without big trouble, so they should be available in the US as well.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks