• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel chocks?

TsgtB

Last summer TsgtB and I watched my unchocked M35A2C roll away and into the bushes. No springbrakes on those.... and don't leave them in gear because then they'll bumpstart and get away under power like rumplecat mentions...
It "looked" flat... but you never know. Really glad nothing was damaged. (Fun Day)

Artisan

If anyone finds some good, affordable , rubber type wheel
chocks for 1400 / 1600 wheels please link us!

You have to ask if they are solid or hollow, they hide
that lil fact ...

quickfarms

If anyone finds some good, affordable , rubber type wheel
chocks for 1400 / 1600 wheels please link us!

You have to ask if they are solid or hollow, they hide
that lil fact ...
Most commercial rubber chocks are hollow for a reason and they are only good for a 44" tire.

The large ones are out there but they are not cheap

Are you looking for something like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451013780.352390.jpg

They cost a few pennies, about $750, but that is nothing compared to the cost of the machine. A single socket for one of them can put you back a $1,000 (that is the cost of a MH axle nut socket)

I use the black rubber ones at work they have the hollow spaces on the bottom . on soft or muddy ground they push in if the truck rolls on them they work better on there side . on hard ground if the truck is driven over them they split and flatten out .

JohnnyBM931A2

After looking at chocks online, I noticed that they carry expanding mechanical "chocks" that go between the rear tires. Some of them even have places to put locks on. However, I don't think there's enough of a gap between the tires when you have super singles on the truck. Plus I don't think they're meant for really knobby offroad tires.

Artisan

QF,

Go ahead and keep using the hollow ones.
When your truck crushes it, and rolls, I pray no one gets killed.
Guess how I know?
I guess you know better than me...

Last edited:

Artisan

I use the black rubber ones at work they have the hollow spaces on the bottom . on soft or muddy ground they push in if the truck rolls on them they work better on there side . on hard ground if the truck is driven over them they split and flatten out .
...and in "my" book, that spells FAILURE.

Another Ahab

After looking at chocks online, I noticed that they carry expanding mechanical "chocks" that go between the rear tires. Some of them even have places to put locks on. However, I don't think there's enough of a gap between the tires when you have super singles on the truck. Plus I don't think they're meant for really knobby offroad tires.
Is this the model of chock you're talking about, or did you find another kind?

DinoShepherd

Great thread and a great reminder.

So I dug around a little bit. Apparently there are some general industry guidelines for chock size based on weight and tire diameter. Get ready, this is going to cost us all some money...

Depending on your exact wheel size, guidelines are calling for something more like 10" high and about that wide. A lot larger than most of us are presently using.

You can look for yourself on checkers wheel chocks. There is a handy chart.

Cheers!

DinoShepherd

tjwareusmc

It shows chocks 11" high and 15" long for my truck and I believe it. I made a set for now, 5.5" tall and you can tell that they're too small to be used in a significant incline. I'll have to build another set though, can't afford anything from that site!

Another Ahab

Still figuring the rules here out. Wasn't sure if linking to outside companies was OK?
If I understand it correctly:

- Linking to another website is okay

- It's linking to the open internet that is NOT okay

Because that of course leaves our website open to mischief (and particularly the mischief from the Dark Side, of which unfortunately there is plenty).

If any moderator wanders in here, I hope they'll correct anything I said wrong about all this.

quickfarms

...and in "my" book, that spells FAILURE.
Using a chock designed for compacted surfaces to perform on soft or muddy surfaces is an incorrect application.

Using the chock on its side is operator error.

Driving over a chock is driver error.

This is not a failure of the chock. It is a failure of the company

quickfarms

QF,

Go ahead and keep using the hollow ones.
When your truck crushes it, and rolls, I pray no one gets killed.
Guess how I know?
I guess you know better than me...
For the correct application they work great. If there was an issue with them the DOT would ban them or the lawyers would prevent the real companies from making a profit on them

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still figuring the rules here out. Wasn't sure if linking to outside companies was OK?

Lets see if me attempt at hyperlink is successful.

https://www.checkersindustrial.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/Wheel-Chock-User-Guide.pdf
You can link to items for sale across the web if it pertains to the discussion at hand.

You can't link to eBay or Craigslist items or any active auction items.

We also ask that people post pics directly to the site and not post links to pics in a photo holding site like photobucket. This is due to the fact that people delete the pics at the other site and we loose them forever.

ToolManTimTaylor

Fwiw I know old thread and all but I just recently completed my Basic Issue Item list for the 923A2.

The chicks are [h=4]NSN 2540-00-912-1848[/h]

JDToumanian

2540-01-165-6136 Datasheet

For Use With/On:NSN 2320-01-304-2277 PLS (Palletized Loading System); NSN 2320-01-318-9902 HET (Heavy Equipment Transporter); HEMTT Family (Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Trucks)
Construction Method:Rectangular block w/sawed bevel edges
Criticality Code Justification:Feat
Design Type:Fixed
Height:5.750 inches nominal
Material:Wood
Length:15.500 inches nominal
Special Features:Weapon system essential
Width:7.750 inches nominal

Here's the data for the chocks for the HEMTT, PLS, and HET trucks, and a picture from the TM so you have a drawing to go along with the dimensions. I don't know about the PLS and HET, but the HEMTT manual calls for 4 of these chocks... I'm going to cut mine to these dimensions from 8x8 wood.

Jon

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks