• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Leak

darr3239

I'm new but can tell this is an outstanding forum, and I've learned tons of stuff. Kind of like being back in school again, but more fun!

Can someone give a guess as to what's leaking here? It looks like something common. I don't have access to the vehicle at the moment to get anything further.

Thanks much.

wheel.jpg

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

It really depends on where it is leaking. It could be missing the cap (not very likely). It could be the seal where the CV plugs in (more likely). Neither are very difficult.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More then likely it's the spindle seal...the upper halfshaft seals seep, they don't really leak, the outer spindle seal is where the real fluid is and it gets thrown all over the rim. But I replace both when I replace the spindle seal, as well as new spindle nut keyed washer. Have at times seen a loose or leaking drain plug on the geared hub.

papakb

The repair entails removing the half-shaft and replacing the seal. It's not too difficult a job for an afternoon.

Kurt

DatGuyC

You can find whole kits that have both input and output seals, a new lock washer, and the nylon seals that go on the fill/drain plugs. A quick search of "hmmwv hub seal kit" brings them up. Not sure if they are cheaper somewhere else, but that's where I found them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks