• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel o-rings

plowboy

I searched the topic and didn't find a lot to answer my current question. We have a wide assortment of 10x20 rims including a couple styles of 5 ton, FMTV, Buffalo, MRAP, and PLHS. Most seem to take either 5/16 or 3/8 diameter 20" o-rings, however the wheel pictured seems to need a shorter (smaller ID), thick o-ring.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what o-ring is required for each different wheel? 12471583_1121556237868327_3621916952643199634_o.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 5 ton combat wheel. There are 2 flavors with 5/8 earlier or 3/4 studs newer holding them together. There is 3 different width of black o rings. 1/4 5/16 & 3/8.

I have seen some mraps, het, and hemtt wheels that use a red o-ring.

The mobile tire jobber that worked on my rims and does GoldnEagles's work feels that the 3/8 thicker orings are the better way to go no matter which wheel it is. We have had at least one smaller one fail.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5/8" and 3/4" is the bolts on the wheels not the lug nut studs. If you look at the Lug nuts they are like 1".
Also the hub in the pic is not a M809 or M939 series hub.

sandcobra164

M35A2-AZ,
I agree with the above that is a 5 ton combat rim. It looks to be bolted to a M1076 PLS trailer. The wheels that normally come on those are of the HEMMT and PLS variety and don't have the same backspacing. The dead give away for me is the recessed face of the wheel on that picture. The HEMMT and PLS wheels have flat faces.

plowboy

M35A2-AZ,
I agree with the above that is a 5 ton combat rim. It looks to be bolted to a M1076 PLS trailer. The wheels that normally come on those are of the HEMMT and PLS variety and don't have the same backspacing. The dead give away for me is the recessed face of the wheel on that picture. The HEMMT and PLS wheels have flat faces.

It's bolted to a Baker plow. I am pretty sure it is an A1 5 ton rim because that is 99% of what the place it came from scraps, and it had a 14.00 on it. I do not, however, know for certain what it came off of. It is not off of an A2 or an FMTV because no CTIS features.

plowboy

That is a 5 ton combat wheel. There are 2 flavors with 5/8 earlier or 3/4 studs newer holding them together. There is 3 different width of black o rings. 1/4 5/16 & 3/8.

The mobile tire jobber that worked on my rims and does GoldnEagles's work feels that the 3/8 thicker orings are the better way to go no matter which wheel it is. We have had at least one smaller one fail.
The o-rings that fit most of our other wheels are too long....meaning you put them on the wheel and you can put your fingers behind them. We shortened at 5/16 one so it would fit properly and it didn't seal. The red 3/8 we have are also too long. We haven't cut one and shortened it, but it seems to be too thick to stay in the groove when you put the other half on.

acme66

I also vote thicker is better especially if you find some pitting on the rim. I try the 5/16 first and keep a 3/8 on hand just in case. For those that remember out homemade o-ring experiments I still have a few tires running them but our long term success was like 25%. Guys have recommended much tougher silicone than we used but sometimes I try something to see if I can, I could and now I just buy them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks