• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel seal

CGarbee

While crawling under my M35A2c yesterday (lube service time...), I noticed that I have a leaking seal on my left rear rear axle... (got that anoying drip of gear lube on the inside of the tire...)

Anyone have a suggestion as to the best supplier (cost, quality of parts) for the seals? Anything I should be replacing/checking while I've got things torn down? Advice from folks who have done this before?

My coworker who rebuilds these things "one weekend a month" is in Iraq right now so I'm missing my local expert...

Thanks,

ajg6989

get some emory cloth to clean up the spindle and remember during reassembly to spin the hub after torque it it willl lossen alittle until it properly torqued

m35a2cowner

I have the same truck you do and was plagued by the same problem you are describing. It took me a while (and an Internet posting) to realize that the wheel bearings are NOT lubricated by the gear lube. I had put a couple seals in trying to stop the leak. It turns out the leak on my truck was caused by a missing piece of cork that goes under the outer wheel bearing. When looking at the seal (inner that pounds onto axle housing) I noticed there is no lip to seal oil. The lip is designed to seal dust and moisture out by rubbing on the bearing race in the hub not to seal oil. The oil is at the other end anyhow.

Cut a piece of cork (I used some from a valve cover) and put in the grove in the housing underneath the outer bearing. I also used a dab of sealer. Leave a little bit sticking out so that the axle nut will smash it when tightened Torque the nut and install the keeper and be sure the slinger seal is in the correct position. That should fix it, it did on mine.

CGarbee

Well, I placed an order with Memphis Equipment on Friday for the seals and a few other items that I need for my M35... I'll let everyone know how things look/go when the parts arrive and I tear into it...
Thanks for all the pointers both here and by email/PM...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks