• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheelbase of bobbed m35a2

RealCavDog

I just typed in " bobbed deuce wheelbase ", in the forum search function, and it popped up 11 threads with over 300 replies.

You might try checking those out, because they do discuss many of the variations and options that will determine what is " most popular ".

I only offer this option because it is bit of a subjective question with lots of variables !

When I was considering that approach, differences in the rear suspension choice was the biggest decision, as well as what type of bed, combined with how much space left behind the cab !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most popular is 130". It keeps that fwd axle in the same spot and negates any driveshaft mods. With that said, I'd rather add some length and get a 9' bed out of the deal.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I agree with Kenny......in order to use the105 bed and make it look right you still have to extend the DS.

The reason I put a flatbed on mine was because the little rat bastage that bobbed mine did not have the driveshaft extended......I had originally planned to use a 105 bed but I ended up liking the flatbed better.

A lot of it has to do with personal preference and what you intend to do with the truck. I have seen people keep the original bed and frame lenght and just lose one axle and the heavy suspension parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

JJensen

We just did mine last weekend. With 3' cut out of the stock bed, the front axle had to move back approximately 1.25" to be centered with the bed. We moved it back 2 inches because then the front leaf spring hanger used 1 or 2 existing holes in the frame. I need to check the driveshaft a little closer, but for street use it could be driven with the stock length drive shaft. I'll probably have it extended so that it isn't pulled out so far.

oddshot

What is the most popular wheelbase length of a bobbed M35A2?
Hey Jake ...

Welcome aboard.

Somebody already mentioned that you should use the "search" function . Think of this place like it was a BIG ol' library. You can't even begin to imagine how much info you can find here by using the search.

Also look on the regular Deuce forum too.

Some of the old hands are kinda *sensitive* about us nubes asking questions they've heard a a couple of times. So you would do well to always do a search before asking a nube question!;-)

While you're at it ... a new guy would be smart to download and read the Tech Mans the military wrote for these things. You can find all of them FREE over at Mike's Bobbed Deuce site XM381

Also ... go get a gander at the rules for this forum. You ain't done nothing wrong ... but again ... the old salts can get REAL crusty if you break one of the rules.

BUT ... if you got a nube question ... you just go on and blurt it on out ... one of us other nubes will try to help you out ... no problems![thumbzup]

oddshot

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jake ...

Welcome aboard.

Somebody already mentioned that you should use the "search" function . Think of this place like it was a BIG ol' library. You can't even begin to imagine how much info you can find here by using the search.

Also look on the regular Deuce forum too.

Some of the old hands are kinda *sensitive* about us nubes asking questions they've heard a a couple of times. So you would do well to always do a search before asking a nube question!;-)

While your at it ... a new guy would be smart to download and read the Tech Mans the military wrote for these things. You can fid all of the FREE over at Mikes Bobbed Deuce site XM381

Also ... go get a gander at the rules for this forum. You ain't done nothing wrong ... but again ... the old salts can get REAL crusty if you break on of the rules.

BUT ... if you got a nube question ... you just go on and blurt it on out ... one of us other nubes will try to help you out ... no problems![thumbzup]

oddshot
Sometimes youth and inexperience rears its ugly head in the form of sarcasm. Although our friend Oddshot has only been here a minute, he has plenty of advice for those who are junior to him while casting stones at those who paved the way for him to be here. I would hope he would just say thanks and carry on. Note that he has not helped you one bit with your questions on wheelbase. I suppose I should get off my soapbox and let him continue to pat his back.

In regards to wheelbase, 130" is most common as I said earlier however if you plan on doing a 9' bed, 136" would be ideal. Placement of a 105 bed because of the fenderwell may dictate an inch or two in one direction or the other. Do you have a plan on a bed?

oddshot

:funny:

The Mary Kay Ladies strike again!

My only intendt was to welcome a nube and give him a couple of pointers.

I meant no sarcasm AND I have only stated facts.

1) There are folks that consider themselves "OLD SALTS" here.

2) Some of the "OLD SALTS" have named among their pet peeves SPECIFICALLY as NUBE QUESTIONS (look it up ... do a search in conversations).

3) And SOME of these OLD SALTS can get a little "crusty" in their posts. I would call your attention to post #8 of this thread.

I didn't hijack this guys thread to castigate somebody either ... YOU DID.

The Old Salts have told me that its a bad thing to do that. If you do a search in a couple Deuce related threads, you'll find that too.

But maybe that only applies ... to me.

If you got a personal comment to make ... don't hijack somebody's thread to do it.

You just might do a search here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/misc.php?do=cfrules

Please put it in the form of a PM and send it.

So it can be ignored properly.

oddshot

oddshot

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't hijack this thread my friend, you did. In each of my posts I offered information relevant to his question, you did not. PM will be inbound.

RealCavDog

I just typed in " bobbed deuce wheelbase ", in the forum search function, and it popped up 11 threads with over 300 replies.

You might try checking those out, because they do discuss many of the variations and options that will determine what is " most popular ".

I only offer this option because it is bit of a subjective question with lots of variables !

When I was considering that approach, differences in the rear suspension choice was the biggest decision, as well as what type of bed, combined with how much space left behind the cab !

WOW ! Hoping my post was taken in the helpful tone that it was intended !

Again, you can really see how many variables there are as you read through some of this information, and I would be inclined to follow a few of the ideas offered up by Recovry4x4, for myself that is, as opposed to a few of the options where some folks cut up an M105 type trailer and weld it under the existing frame.

This is fine for making it easy to center the wheelwell opening and not having to do any driveline work or much drilling, but that of course will be a matter of personal preferences !

After all . . . If was easy, anyone could do it !

Good luck and let us know what you decide on, and maybe why ! Always great to be able to weigh in on and consider other points of view and reasoning !

P.S. As you can see, I also am a newbie, And this site totally ROCKS the deeper you get in ! Amazing Info !

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most popular is 130". It keeps that fwd axle in the same spot and negates any driveshaft mods. With that said, I'd rather add some length and get a 9' bed out of the deal.

I agree with Ken.

That said, I lengthened my driveshaft 5.75" and am extremely happy with the way it turned out. I wanted the 9' bed length and the axle in the middle of the wheelwell, with the bed as far forward without cutting the bed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks