• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheels, dolly or cradle for MEP-003a

easttnemc

I am planning to take my MEP-003a off of the trailer it came on. I would like to put it on wheels or dolly to make it easy to roll it around in my workshop.

Has anyone made a cradle or some other way to put heavy-duty casters or wheels onto the skid that the MEP is on? Would a couple of heavy-duty furniture dollys work?

Any ideas or thoughts?

3dAngus

A warehouse GL trailer would be perfect. You can remove the long tongue or leave it in the upright position for space saving.
They are metal based frame with wood floor. The floors are usually in bad shape when sold. I have seen some with metal floors, but it is a certainty they will be badly banged up. Some have pneumatic tires, some have steel wheels. Prices are about $200 on average and it might cost you that much to build one with axles and all for holding up 1200 pounds or more.

95blklsc

I put mine on 8" casters using the factory holes in the skids to bolt some pressure treated 2x8 and then bolt the casters to the wood as close a possible to the skid. . I bought the casters from grizzley. It works great, I can roll it around without a problem on concrete.

Casters: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8171 and http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8167

A few pics:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAADGM/gHYEusG_MMk/w901-h676-no/IMG_2062.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAADLY/f5IZ6gBne2A/w901-h676-no/IMG_2148.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAADL0/2l34Mh9vC3U/w901-h676-no/IMG_2173.JPG

easttnemc

Hey 95blklsc, that is pretty slick looking setup. That is exactly what I was trying to envision.

Are those two small Battery Tenders I see bolted near the battery enclosure? I was also thinking about doing that as well.

Thanks for the pics!

95blklsc

This was the thread that I asked the hole spacing and dimension information so I could have the wood and wheels ready to bolt on before going to pick up the gen set.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106299-MEP-003A-Skid-Measurements&p=1351002#post1351002

I just bolted it on when it was lifted up with the fork lift and it fit pefect. I used a rope tied to the gen set and then wrapped around the railing on the uhaul trailer to carefully let it down the ramp by hand when I got home, much like a sail boat winch.

Here is the battery charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UQX692/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it was reasonable for a marine battery tender. Each module is capable of 6A and they are water proof and vibration resistant. I wanted to mount it in the ASK but it was just a little too big. The only issue I had was after some run time, I posted a quick writeup on the amazon feedback link. It's been fine since.

Here is the only issue I had: After about 10 hours of total run time since installing this, 4-5 hours most recently, one of the two maintainers wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in after running the gen set. I unbolted it from the frame and plugged it back in and it worked. It seemed to fit the receptacle tightly, so I just put some copper and aluminum rated no-ox paste on the spades to hopefully prevent a contact issue in the future. It has kept the batteries fresh and ready to start.

lusso250

Hi, sorry to bump an older thread, but I'm looking for a dimension not listed anywhere I can find: the c-c distance between the holes from one side of the skid to the other. In other words, the distance between sets of holes on one of the boards easttnemc used. The distance from the edge of the skid to the center of one of these mounting holes would also give me enough info to build a similar caster rig. Thanks!

R Racing

Hi, sorry to bump an older thread, but I'm looking for a dimension not listed anywhere I can find: the c-c distance between the holes from one side of the skid to the other. In other words, the distance between sets of holes on one of the boards easttnemc used. The distance from the edge of the skid to the center of one of these mounting holes would also give me enough info to build a similar caster rig. Thanks!
So did you happen to go to the link on post 5 above that you read past that says " here is were I asked for the dimension's " ? Its there !!

R Racing

Also Not to sound Grumpy. But the RULES SAY You must enter city and state in your location !! :rules:

lusso250

Hey, thanks for the response (and the rulz heads-up). I did check out the linked thread, but the dimension I'm looking for is the distance between holes on opposite sides of the skid - ie the 32" width of the skid, less the distance from the outside of the skid to the holes. That link only has the distance between adjacent pairs of holes on the same side of the skid. I'm in the same situation as the OP, where I'd like to have the caster setup prefabricated before I show up to the GL site. Thanks again!

R Racing

Maybe he will chime in? Its to dark to measure mine right now. But I can try to tomorrow. Did you try measuring the outside width, and then subtracting from both sides to the center of the holes?

lusso250

Unfortunately, I don't have one of the gens here yet - I'm going to pick mine up next week, and was hoping to get the measurements in advance. You're definitely right that I would only need the measurement from the side of the skid to the center of the hole. I think the other measurements necessary are all in the other thread. I would really appreciate it if you could check that out for me, but whenever you get a chance - I'm not in a rush.

Keith_J

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75908-MEP-002A-is-ALIVE!/page4&highlight=I built a self mobile cart for my 002A. The rear axle is a 2 speed lawn tractor transaxle, driven by a 1/2 hp 24 volt motor. In high gear, it is about as fast as a slow walk. In low gear, it will pull the set up a 15 degree slope.

The front axle is a set of pneumatic tire casters, modified to a wagon steer drawbar using tie rods in front of the axle for steering. On the drawbar is a directional control switch.

No modifications to the frame were done on this install. Sure makes the generator mobile, handy for fence work since it is the prime power supply for my welder.

Last edited:

lusso250

@Keith_J That's really impressive! I'll stick with the casters for now since I already have them and don't need much mobility, but that is a great idea. How did you secure the cart frame to the forklift pockets?

lusso250

Sorry it took so long to get the measurement....30.5" center-to-center.
Thanks for taking the time to measure that! This will make unloading the generator so much easier.
Just so all of the information is in one place, here is the info 1800 Diesel posted in the other thread about the other hole spacing measurements:
Control box end: 5 1/4" hole spacing
Fan housing end: 4 3/4" hole spacing
Hole size 5/8"

Keith_J

@Keith_J That's really impressive! I'll stick with the casters for now since I already have them and don't need much mobility, but that is a great idea. How did you secure the cart frame to the forklift pockets?
I use two 2x6 through the pocket, from underneath, then lag screwed my drive assembly into this wood. This is for the rear. The front axle assembly is similar, only the generator sits on the frame. A few blocks shims it up to the front channel. Less than ideal but zero mods to the unit.

I will have to take more pictures next time it is apart. Last time, the rear fork pocket lumber surprised me and resulted in a crush injury to my left thumbnail. Full nail loss, just now fully healed. The wife is wary of me working on it...

Yes, install requires a lift, in my case it is a come along and a sturdy oak limb. I put it on Jack stands just in case the one ton come along decides to quit. I need a recovery vehicle, help me convince the wife it is really needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks