• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheels on M35A3

pvtjorge

I was looking at some M35A3's on the auction. I noticed an object on the wheels which looked like a weight. What is that thing?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you end up getting an M35A3, take that crap off. The CTIS never seemed to work correctly even when maintained by GIs who are tasked with nothing but vehicle maintenance. Come to think of it, if you buy ANY military vehicle with CTIS, take it off. It's a wet dream of a design that looks good on paper, but never works like the engineers wanted it to under real world conditions.

DUECE-COUPE

the thing that looks like a weight is just that, a weight. it counters the CTIS system. like others have said, take all that junk off and run it straight. if you have the A3 rims, replace the valve with a 5 ton valve stem . as fir the orings, dissasemble the tie from the rim, cleean the rim, use RTV and a new O ring, and assemble the tire and rim. if you are using the 14.50x20 michelis, make sure the tread pattern is all going in the same direction. if not, your truck will look funny. the best way to dissasemble the wheeel is to get a 5 gal bucket and 2 peices of 2x2 wood. remove the outer nuts and pry up the outer ring. put the 2x2 between the outer ring and the inner ring, after you do that. you will need to break the bead loose form the outer ring. i used aslide hammer , but you can use a bead hammer if you have one. the tire weight in at 300 lbs so get help with the removal or have a ciropractor on speed dial.

best of luck.:-D

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As described above, it is CTIS. You will also see it on FMTVs, 900 series 5-tons and several other types of MVs.

The big triangular plate covers the hoses etc. and protects them from damage. If you look closely at the attached picture, you will also see a small counter weight bolted to the rim opposite the pointy end of the triangle, keeps the wheel balanced.

As Maddawg said, they tend to leak, which is why CTIS vehicles parked for any length of time are usually sitting on some flat tires, often all on one side since they are interconnected.

Cheers

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever notice how the civilain Hummers have the CTIS cover design cast into the AL wheels? :roll:

M1075

Come to think of it, if you buy ANY military vehicle with CTIS, take it off. It's a wet dream of a design that looks good on paper, but never works like the engineers wanted it to under real world conditions.
I know there has been a lot of negative comments on the A3 and M939 design, but I find the CTIS on the PLS works like a champ and performs as intended.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks