• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheels

1bonehead

So, is it best to use a3 wheels, hemmt wheels or mrap wheels when doing a single conversion on a 69 35a2 shop truck? I have enough to be totally confused.

No no matter what I believe I need to flip my hubs, correct?

A3 wheels have issues with seating the bead on 395s, correct?

What style mrap wheels are needed? I think Peashooter is done with plates so who makes the best plates to use?

thanks for any and all help.

Matt

Flyingvan911

It partially depends on what tires you want to run. I am going to put 11.0x20 radials on my A2. I flipped the hubs to run singles in the rear. I will use the stock rims for the new tires. Some larger tire do require the larger rims.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, is it best to use a3 wheels, hemmt wheels or mrap wheels when doing a single conversion on a 69 35a2 shop truck? I have enough to be totally confused.

No no matter what I believe I need to flip my hubs, correct?

A3 wheels have issues with seating the bead on 395s, correct?

What style mrap wheels are needed? I think Peashooter is done with plates so who makes the best plates to use?

thanks for any and all help.

Matt
Use what you can get cheapest, its 6 of 1, half a dozen the other.

If you can get the 395s new mounted on mrap rims, I'd go that route, cause they are balanced already.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have to agree with Gimp the MRAP wheels are plenty heavy duty to do anything a Deuce can handle and the HEMMT wheels are WAY overkill in almost every way for a Deuce!
KK

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model mrap wheels work best?

These :)

In all seriousness, the aluminum MRAP rims seem to be the number 1 choice. There's a few different styles of them and I'm not aware of any reason to prefer one style over the others. I've got some pictures of aluminum mrap rims with 395's mounted on M35A2s if you want them....

Attachments

Last edited:

ICAT

I used 6 lug UPS wheels and 11r22.5 tires without any issues. These wheels and tires were easy to come by and easy to service

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These :)In all seriousness, the aluminum MRAP rims seem to be the number 1 choice. There's a few different styles of them and I'm not aware of any reason to prefer one style over the others. I've got some pictures of aluminum mrap rims with 395's mounted on M35A2s if you want them....

Attachments

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No matter what I believe I need to flip my hubs, correct?
Hello Matt!

As you can see above in 98G's pictures you don't have to flip the rear hubs. If you look closely at those pictures the rear are (I believe what's called) "deep-dish out" where the front tires are "deep-dish in". Some prefer the look that way, others will flip the rear hubs to have the rear match the front. Either way does affect the tire tracking by a few inches but I don't know those numbers. I know in several threads member gringeltaube has posted awesome drawings showing the spacing/tracking difference with hubs flipped or not.

Edit:
Here's at least one of the examples I was thinking about:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?120558-395-85R20-tires-for-Deuce

Other excellent posts by Mr. gringeltaube:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/43951-flipped-hubs-backing-plate-width.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?69583-Perfect-Backspacing&p=845618&viewfull=1#post845618

Last edited: