• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When Does a Truck get Overhauled?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are m939's stored for long periods? Do they drain them, fog them and park it, or what?

Also, are vehicles in storage ever taken out for a spin to circulate lube?
Can't tell you specifically about the M939s, but some will be stored for long term. Fluids are not usually drained, in fact, depending which program they end up in (aka who is controlling them) they might still get serviced on a regular, but extended interval (IE quarterly or semi-annually instead of monthly). Also depending on the program depends on if they are wrapped up for long term storage or simply parked out back until they are needed. Again, program dependant, is whether or not they get any exercise.

I have trucks on my current camp that are in a long term storage program. They do get moved around somewhat (maximizing motorpool space) and I think they are doing a maintenance set on another small motorpool as I have seen the trucks "shifting" empty spots when I go by for PT. Others, I don't even know if the gate has been opened the entire time I've been here... NG and USAR trucks are more likely to sit than AD trucks... at least compared to here. At Bragg I had some that seemed to sit in the same spot for 2-3 years.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to think about is how these trucks are built...very high gear ratios, slow speeds mostly. They accrue more wear and tear than a civilian vehicle of the same size. Everything that turns turns faster but goes slower than your regular Peterbuilt.

Newer 5-tons notwithstanding, they seem to have a great OD system for decent highway speeds.

Push an M37 or M54 for over 100K miles and you will learn all about worn out parts. I see the usual life of a tactical is around 15K miles before it is sold off or rebuilt.

My '67 M54A1 had only 22K on the clock, and was rebuilt twice (Sagami, Japan 1973 and Nurnberg, Germany 1985) before Desert Storm and then sold to me.

Dennis

Jim Timber

It's not like the brakes are going to wear more than a similarly sized truck, the tires will weather check more than they'll lose tread unless you're putting a lot of mileage on them. The suspension shouldn't wear disproportionately to the mileage either. And the engine and transmission aren't seeing higher than normal RPM's short of the output shaft. Wheel bearings should be spinning slower than an OTR rig.

So when you're saying it needs a rebuild - what exactly does it need if it hasn't rusted or rotted from sitting idle? Are tranny's and t-cases short lived on personally owned MV's that see regular use?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Overall it is a crap shoot. If you're asking us to vouch for a low mileage older truck that you saw on GL, nobody is going to do so. I would suggest doing some websearches on military depot and rebuild programs as well as Equipment Concentration Sites (ECS) and Maintenance and Training Equipment Sites (MATES).

The #1 reason if a rebuild occurs if there is money to do so. No money, no rebuild.