• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When were M52 A2's built?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any year the G744's were built. 1950's on up. They came with gassers at first then 465 multifuels. Most where upgraded to the 800 series with NDC250 engines.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The M52A2 is powered by the LDS-465. The sequence went like this; first were the M39 series trucks (IH was the prime contractor, Diamond T secondary) powered by the Continental R6602 gas engine. Next came a repower program by Mack that installed the ENDT-673, resulting in the M52A1 and M54A1....I don't have my copies of the Mack paperwork in front of me at the moment, so I can't give exact dates - from memory this was about 62-63 (I think that I cover this in an old MVM Magazine article). Next came the Multifuel powered A2. All of these were considered the G744 series, and with only minor changes, any of the three engines can be installed in the same truck.

Next came the M809 series (sorry, I don't remember the G-number of this series - and I don't have my reference at hand) - but the G-number is different (I'll edit this post tomorrow with correct number). These trucks were powered by the Cummins NHC-250 diesel. While at first glance the trucks appear the same as the G744, in reality the frames are longer to accomodate the longer Cummins engine. This is evidenced by their "pointed" nose - like that of the Reo G-742 - as opposed to the flat nose of a G-744. The NHC-250 and its cooling system simply will not fit in the engine compartment designed for the mighty R6602 20+ years earlier.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

chief76433

Thanks for the reply.The reason I was asking is because a dept. up the road just got one and they seem to think it was built in the 80's.What you are saying is that it was built in the 60's?It has a tag on the dash that says repowered 1996.So the M52 is an older truck than the 813?Thanks again.

NEIOWA

By the mid 80s the production 5t was the M923A1 (super singles). The M923 (rear duals) was before that which was preceeded by the M809.

DOD is still surplusing M52 series 5t though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks