• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

when will it end??

dogkiller

the deuce is cheap now...
any idea how many are left in gov hands that should be sold???
I know I should buy as many as I can afford but wonder how much longer it can last...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There will be deuces for years. No need for panic.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ooops, duplicate post.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sitting back waiting. So many are going for top dollar now, and beyond, folks are going to be broke and then the prices are going to drop like fat rocks!

dogkiller

ooops..

I looked for the info, but couldnt find anything..
I'm not trying to whip up, or cause any hysteria, the talk of zombies causes enough of that..
am I wrong or does a moderator moderate or opinionate??
I enjoy this site because of the exchange of "information",good natured ribbing, and opinions..
a link to a post/s that covered this "in great detail" would have/been helpful
just my 12.5 cents worth

thanks, d.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The subject has been covered in excruciating detail, but I'm not sure of the search words that will bring the threads up. The 2009 defense appropriations bill allocated 400 millon for new trucks for the Guard so they could turn in all the deuces by Oct of this year to DRMO. It will take GL about six to nine months to get them all up for sale (the ones not taken by agencies and foreign military sales). After that, the big sales will be over, but, since a gasser deuce still occasionally comes up (all supposedly converted to diesel in the 60's and 70's), they will continue to trickle out for another five years or so, when their 'different' shape makes them harder to hide from the 'turn-it-in' crowd. By that time there will likely be far in excess of 100,000 deuces in private hands within CONUS, and more than enough will be for sale!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I looked for the info, but couldnt find anything..
I'm not trying to whip up, or cause any hysteria, the talk of zombies causes enough of that..
am I wrong or does a moderator moderate or opinionate??
I enjoy this site because of the exchange of "information",good natured ribbing, and opinions..
a link to a post/s that covered this "in great detail" would have/been helpful
just my 12.5 cents worth

thanks, d.
Swbradley posted a very good link on the last page (thanks!) and here are a couple more.

I know that you aren't trying to rile the members up intentionally, but that's what threads like this inevitably do. It is a topic pertinent to the hobby, so that's why we don't delete them.

Here are some other threads:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/27756-latest-addition-family.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/15863-guard-m35a2s-sent-drmo.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/32569-government-sale-off-how-many-more-left.html

Now, so far as the "am I wrong or does a moderator moderate or opinionate??" comment, I'll tell you.

We are here to keep the place running smoothly. We want more people to show up and enjoy the hobby with us. I run the Ga. Rally-you think I want the same 5 guys to show up every year? Heck no, I want everyone to come. If there was a way for every single member of the entire site to show up and us have a 4K strong weeklong green iron party, I'd be happy as a clam.

In that task, we try to keep off topic stuff off the site. We try to steer discussions that are derailing back onto track. We help members find information (in addition to the links I just posted for you, I get a ton of pm's from people asking them to find something). We help members who aren't as computer literate as others get the most out of the site (until yesterday, my g/f had no idea you could be alerted via your personal email that you had a private message on the site). We do alot.

We're also responsible for the content of the site. We have to keep this giant reference library usable. If the content becomes so disorganized that no one can find anything, this has gone from a reference source of material to a giant chatbox. To do this, to maintain the integrity of the data management, we need people find the existing data (we'll call it a thread) and either get their data there or add to that thread as opposed to starting a new one.

Consider this:

When a person comes onto the forum and wants to learn about something and they do a search (let's say for insurance), they find dozens of threads. All covering the same thing.

And that person looks at all those results and says "Wow, I don't have the time to read all that" (or they are just impatient) so they add to the problem by posting a new thread which just adds to the problem.

Eventually, we will have ruined this fantastic library of information that's been amassed because the repetition in search words will make it impossible to find anything!

Here's a good example:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/406597-post15.html

But you get another problem with heavy repetition of the same 10-20 questions.

The guys who have been in the hobby for years, the real experts, not just the guys who have had a truck for a year or two get tired of reading those same questions over and over again. Because they've answered them dozens of times.

So you basically begin to "dumb down" your answers and, what's worse, is that instead of having one or two threads that are in depth, intelligent discussions with a lot of answers, you get dozens of threads with just the answer you want and little else. Again, because the experts are basically staying out because they've covered that ground a million times before.

Lastly, if you think I was opinionating as opposed to moderating, I could have done some moderation and just merged your thread with one of the existing ones. I didn't do that because I thought that would be rude.

Last edited:

dogkiller

oh the shame

dcwilkie, the dog killer came from a dog I had (yorkie) that even people that hated dogs loved, he was with me 24/7 for about 7 yrs.
he was killed in a freak garage door accident. a painful albatross I am cursed to wear..

clinto, I would have been happy to have my question merged with another thread if it answered my question.
anything that can be done, in my opinion, that improves the site should be done..
doing ones job should never be considered rude...

thanks, d.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I can tell you that there are 290 of the straight M35A2 w/o 232000071616 and w/w 2320000071617 models at DRMO. Doesn't include any of the 109's, XLB, A3's, A2C, etc.

Much smaller numbers in the northeast now although there is a smattering. Main places are MO, TX, CA, MS, and very heavy in KY. Unknown if GL will move them before selling.

This doesn't include the numbers still waiting to be turned in to DRMO

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just found out there are only 196 of the straight M35A2's and 83 of the w/w models left in active service. Keep in mind, this does not include any of the other models nor anything in AF or Navy service (if they have any). It also does not include A3's.

stoney_bogg

In March of 2009 while at Ft. Knox DRMO there were over a hundred M35's tagged for Foreign Military Sales-- Is this the spike in the numbers for KY that Carnac saw in above posts?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trucks that are tagged for Foreign Military Sales (FMS) are not always picked up or purchased by Foreign Govs. I don't know what the time limit is for being in this status but these are the best trucks I own.

I have 2 trucks that were tagged FMS: M109A3 & M49A2C. Both were completely gone through and prepped for FMS, new IP's, compressors, seals, All fuids and filters changed, upholtery, tires. M49A2C has every little knickknack possible for opperation in it's boxes, nozzels hard hoses, connectors, plugs, ground rod with sliding hammer weight thingy. The M49A2C was completely disassembled as evidenced by new bolts everywhere. It evan has brand spanky new brass vents on the axles:-D.

I don't know if this is true across the board with FMS truck, but I would suspect it is.

FMS is usually writen on the windshield.

Take a good look at these and snag em.

Last edited:

KsM715

There are a bunch of FMS trucks at Ft Riley, they are better than the GL trucks but not all of them have been referbished. On a side note, when I was out there last wed. DRMO was taking two very nice M816 wreckers off the line (with FMS tags in the windows) and loading them up on lowboys. :cry:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know I was buying FMS trucks either time. I probably got lucky.

Does anyone know if FMS trucks have to be up to a certain standard?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks