• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are all the CUCV's?

swyne

Hello guys, I've been looking on the GL website for a while now. Looking for something closer than FL, GA or even DE. But lately it seems like theres very little to pick from if any. I'm 45min NW of Albany NY and had gone to Concord NH ARNG back in Sept 07. They had roughly 30-40 m1008's 9's and 28's to get rid of up there that were being brought in by neighboring installations. Sept they auctioned off 3 1028's. According to the SSGT that I spoke to they were getting rid of them all.There were some nicer ones up there and figured I would wait for those ones but nothing since Sept. I've called and left messages to find out when the next load would be going thru, but there not returning my calls. GL says just keep watching. I don't know. Just looking to make a nice runner and possibly a plow unit for the HQ here in NY. Hey if you need a M35A2, GL has a ton of those monsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) aua

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: Where are all the CUCV

Keep in mind the turn in process and where you are at in the food chain.

In-processing 1-7 days
DoD screening 30 days
Federal screening 30 days
State and Local screening 30 days
Donation screening 30 days
Process for sale when they get to it.

It is quite possible the trucks could have been taken by a number of agencies such as the Forestry Service or a town or even an international humanitarian relief organization. DRMO has the option of cutting the screening process to 1 day but rarely do so for going straight to sale. I've seen it done a lot for going to donation.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion, no facts other than my observations to back it up with.

CUCV's are coming to an end thru DRMO/GL, simpliy because they have mostly gotten turned in, and no more are left. The ONE that I see at the local armories are now the Armory's Superintendants "plow the driveway" truck. All the NG and reserve units I have ever been to all have humvees, and a CUCV with a plow on it for the winter. In the grand scheme of widely issued CUCV's, the M1031 contact trucks were the most uncommon of the common ones.. Even they are on GL frequently now, as they have been replaced by the humvee contact truck..

I think now is the time to get a CUCV before they are no more from Uncle.

Just my .02...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not many left in the US.....?!
A few years ago a lot CUCVs (about 100 M1009 and M1008s) were donated to the Uruguayan Gov. I suppose that much bigger quantities went to other UN-partners, as well.
Very few remain here, in service for the U. military, but we don't see them on the road anymore. Most vehicles were sent outside for peace missions in Africa and never came back. The rest was auctioned locally, cut in pieces according to the new regulations.....! :x

G.

AJMBLAZER

Wow, that sucks.

The word I've heard is that the military is keeping the truly good CUCV's and the so/so, problem child, cost more to fix than they're worth, damaged, etc etc etc ones are or have been sold.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your state auctions/surplus. While they're usually beat by the time they're released, for example, the state of pa. usually has one or two at each sale. Check the history of Keystone auto auctions, look at past results, a few only brought $300.00!

FrankUSMC

When we were turning our CUCVs in back in the 90s, they ran a story about them in our base newspaper. All our CUCVs were going to the State of Georgia for law inforcement. They had a photo of a couple on a trailer. I was always shocked about "why Georgia would want CUCVs from a Marine base in North Carolina? Georgia has a bunch of Army bases, why come to North Carolina????
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

majortom

usda forest service in mn. wi. mi.ia.and nb. sreen and fight over good cucv,s they bring trucks in from tx. az. ca. ar. al. ga. fl. i have seen the papers, as we sell them parts. they paint them red, drill lots of holes in the roof, hit trees, and park them upside down. after that the ones that still survive get snapped up by the tribes, never to be seen again. the dead ones go to gsa auctions.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

majortom

we also bid the big bucks for the best truck. i have bought 200+ cucv,s. when the bid exeeds 4k it is usually me fighting one of several exporters. i would rather pay top dollar than let the ruskys have it...

swyne

All are excellent answers! I'm just going to keep my head up and keep on trucking till I find one. The "Can Do" spirit is alive and well and won't stop till the job is done. Thanks a bunch guys!!!

CGarbee

The NCANG has just about finished turning in their CUCV's... They had been running large quantities of them through Bragg and LeJeune over the past year. A whole lot of them went through the FEPP site in Raleigh and was distribited to such users as VFD's (which have been turning in their old M880's right and left), the State Forestry folks and the NCSU Cooperative Extension/Agg. Research Farm (which have been sellling off thier older CUCV's...).

So, if you missed the large sales last year of the "good" CUCV's in NC, there still are some nice ones comming down the pike, but not in large numbers, and there are a bunch of real rough ones for sale on auctions other than GL...

Of course, if you want to skip the auction process and get a nice one, I notice the last time that I was over at John Winslow's that he had a really nice selection of them available. I assume that the other dealers in the state have them as well... :)

AJMBLAZER

CGarbee said:
Of course, if you want to skip the auction process and get a nice one, I notice the last time that I was over at John Winslow's that he had a really nice selection of them available. I assume that the other dealers in the state have them as well... :)
John Winslow...what/who is this and do they have a website?

CGarbee

AJMBLAZER said:
John Winslow...what/who is this and do they have a website?
John Winslow: Dealer located in Halifax, NC (northeastern part of the state). Does not have a website that I am aware of. I've PM'ed his phone number to you...

When we were turning our CUCVs in back in the 90s, they ran a story about them in our base newspaper. All our CUCVs were going to the State of Georgia for law inforcement. They had a photo of a couple on a trailer. I was always shocked about "why Georgia would want CUCVs from a Marine base in North Carolina? Georgia has a bunch of Army bases, why come to North Carolina????
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.
usda forest service in mn. wi. mi.ia.and nb. sreen and fight over good cucv,s they bring trucks in from tx. az. ca. ar. al. ga. fl. i have seen the papers, as we sell them parts. they paint them red, drill lots of holes in the roof, hit trees, and park them upside down. after that the ones that still survive get snapped up by the tribes, never to be seen again. the dead ones go to gsa auctions.
The NCANG has just about finished turning in their CUCV's... They had been running large quantities of them through Bragg and LeJeune over the past year. A whole lot of them went through the FEPP site in Raleigh and was distribited to such users as VFD's (which have been turning in their old M880's right and left), the State Forestry folks and the NCSU Cooperative Extension/Agg. Research Farm (which have been sellling off thier older CUCV's...).

So, if you missed the large sales last year of the "good" CUCV's in NC, there still are some nice ones comming down the pike, but not in large numbers, and there are a bunch of real rough ones for sale on auctions other than GL...

we also bid the big bucks for the best truck. i have bought 200+ cucv,s. when the bid exeeds 4k it is usually me fighting one of several exporters. i would rather pay top dollar than let the ruskys have it...
With all that being said does that mean my cucv is special seeing as how it was used a forrestry truck and u aint kidding about the loads of cucvs going through lejeune now your lucky if u see any at all and we cant rescue them all lol but we can try also Theirs a nice 86 d30 cucv with the compressor and welder in the back for sale in Newport NC at bogueautosales .com and u can see it