• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are yall buying Starters and Alternators from for the m1008 cucv

rnd-motorsports

Not to add any bad bits but test your battery's. Load test not just volt . just becouse they show 12 volts they still may not be anygood I can show you one that shows 12 volt but will not even make light a bulb work. Napa unless states New are most likely a rebuild from cardone check the next time you get a part cardone rebuilds parts for everybody I drive semi for them and deliver ther parts for everybody with napa you are just paying extra for the name on the box same part off the same line just put in a box with napa on it. anyways I would have the old ones rebuilt also if pos.

well guys thanks for all the input to make a long story short i was working on the dash suffice to say i cranked it right up let it run a few minutes to make sure all the lights came on boy were they bright i was so proud of myself in the midst of all this i heard an alt start squealing so i turned it back off checked all the connections and they all seem to be tight well i got the dash back together and went to crank the truck to move it and the starter was turning but it wasnt engageing enough to turn the motor it would comeout and go back in flywheel is new so no teeth are messed up but i have noticed over the last few weeks that it was gettin harder to start i started hearing the dead spot when starting it also since i have owned the truck gen2 alt light has never come on with key so im not sure if the other alt was charging the whole time so im kinda lost but i cant check anything else till i get the truck running i hope this give some insight i will try to answer anymore questions best i can

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the GEN2 (passenger side) light has not come on, then the rear battery has never been charging. The stock starter needs the voltage from the front and rear batteries to start.

If the GEN2 is not working then you CAN run the truck for a long time and get many starts until the rear battery doesn't have enough juice to crank the starter.

Yes, NAPA does sell the correct rebuilt alternator, but there have been some people buy them and find out that they haven't been rebuilt correctly. If you buy one make sure that the ground stud is indeed isolated from the altenator case. I have paid $85 to have one rebuilt and usually pay $45 for parts and rebuild them myself.

There has been many posts on the correct starter bracket numbers. I have posted the numbers and pictures for both brackets. Old Direct Drive style and the newer Gear Reduction style.

Before you start any troubleshooting, charge your batteries and make sure they pass a load test. If they don't then you will be chasing many issues.

Last edited:
Thanks Warthog(Forgot to mention )I bought 2 brand new 800 cca 1000 ca batteries about a weekago from advance i run this specfic battery in my other 2 trucks the civy ones so ifugred they would be good enough as the batteries thwere orginally in the cucv werent even 600 cold crankin amps each Well if whats u say is true then the batteries arent the issue as the starter still turns just wont crank the truck

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the starter is turning but not engaging the flywheel, then it is probably the starter bendix hanging up. Or it could be the starter solenoid.

The only way to tell for sure is to pull the starter and take it apart or have it tested at a repair shop.

Most local parts houses can not test 24v stuff. I usually take my stuff to a big truck/equipment alternator/starter repair shop as they deal with 24v stuff all the time.

thanks warthog Im on it like white on rice lol and a fat kid to twinkies got a line on a place in wilmington nc who does all the big truck stuff and apparently they have a car lot that has sold alot of the cucvs down the road they have done all thier work on the alts and starters so i think this might be a god send for me waitin on em to call me back

Quick question warthog are the starters completely 24 volt or is it just the solenoid thats 24 volt im curious

Last edited:
Well the place called me back

i can get a new gearreduction starter for $159 and both alts rebuilt for $110 each as for the starter bracket im gonna need a partnumber for it and see if gm still makes it thanks yall for the info ill keep ya posted

Well yall ill get the new Starter Tommrow went early and Dropped Off 2 Orginal Cucv Alternators i bought from a guy here in NC thats deals with the M1008s im gonna get my Cucv straight and buy another set from him and try to rebuild them myself for a back up also im gonna have to see what a orginal set up meaning how the alts are actually fastned i think i got dibs on a truck i can look at and probably get bolts to go along with it Thanks Guys for the help i want be to far u can bet on that i love the site:beer::grd:

Last edited: