• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can I get a replacement windshield?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all due respect...

Flat glass is a simple repair.

Find flat re-enforced safety windshield glass from an old LandCruiser or Jeep. Confirm thickness is to spec. Mark to size. Cut inner and outer glass to size using a glass etch device. Hit with a blowtorch to make the etched area break. Use lighter fluid and a match to burn through the plastic membrane. Remove the newly detached extra glass. Install.

Done.

Best,

T

teteacher101

I have a cracked windshield that needs to be replaced in VA.
Check around your area for non "box store" type auto glass places. We have a place in my area that is an independent glass business an they do glass in cars, houses, commercial buildings, heavy equipment, etc. They replaced both windshields in my Humvee while it was in the parking lot of where I work for $200. :)

MaverickH1

A lot of the box stores won't replace the glass if you don't buy it from them. They cite warranty issues.

The glass is not particularly difficult to replace, you just have to go slow and NEVER force anything. I've cracked 1 of 3 that I've installed.

Check HummerPartsGuy. He had them fairly cheaply and they were the type that has tinting in the upper part of the windshield.

NormB

Check around your area for non "box store" type auto glass places. We have a place in my area that is an independent glass business an they do glass in cars, houses, commercial buildings, heavy equipment, etc. They replaced both windshields in my Humvee while it was in the parking lot of where I work for $200. :)
Was that THEIR glass, or glass you bought elsewhere?

Valiant

Oh wow! Thanks for all the info. There was a glass shop locally that would cut pieces but it seems like they're gone and I couldn't find anybody else willing to cut. The price is really good for the sources you guys gave so I'll give them a shot. Hopefully they won't kill me with shipping to VA.

NormB

Oh wow! Thanks for all the info. There was a glass shop locally that would cut pieces but it seems like they're gone and I couldn't find anybody else willing to cut. The price is really good for the sources you guys gave so I'll give them a shot. Hopefully they won't kill me with shipping to VA.
Price has ME thinking it might be a good idea to buy a set for "insurance."

ryanruck

Lynch Hummer has the clear glass listed for $55.62.

http://store.adv4x4.com/nsearch.html?query=12339514
I just ordered glass and seals to replace my hazed glass and rotting seals since I'm painting my truck.

They've got the best price on the glass but they're asking $52 each for the seals and shipping to me was $78.

2017-07-04_19-59-54.jpg

HPG had the better package price with seals for $35 each and shipping only $32 to me.

2017-07-04_19-54-58.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would seem folks like safelite with a H1 hummer should be able to quote you on a window half reasonable if you can reuse the seal?

teteacher101

Was that THEIR glass, or glass you bought elsewhere?
It was their glass. They came up an pulled the old glass out, drove back to their shop an cut out the new safety/laminated glass, cleaned up the seals as they were still good, then drove back up an installed everything.