• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can I get my M1009 dirty, near NW Atlanta area?

CycleJay

Big_Red,

Thank you for all the useful information.

It all sounds like fun, as long as people follow advice like yours, and be careful,
and properly prepared, equipped, etc..

As I was saying, I would not want to do anything wild or crazy anyway,
more like just take it slow, & easy.
So I can learn how to handle it off-road, so in case of emergency,
I will know how to drive it off road if I should ever have to.

And if I ever do want to get wild & crazy, I will get another vehicle that CAN handle it.

Have a good night,

CJ

idM1028

Besides I live in a place where it is against the complex rules to work on your own vehicle,
so when I do, I have to try to not get caught.
Not sure what your situation is, but sometimes you can work with the management. When I moved into where I'm at now I was told that vehicle maintenance/washing/etc. was prohibited. aua But I've worked slowly with the management and now I'm at the point where they don't care about it. Case in point, I replaced my glow plugs awhile back. I told the management ahead of time and that if I couldn't get it done before winter the truck probably wouldn't move until spring (non-functioning vehicle=also prohibited) They were fine with it. I found out later that the no-maintenance rule was instituted after one of the residents was buying up large numbers of vehicles from auctions. Needless to say, some of them needed work (which he did in the parking lot) and even then, a lot of them still didn't run. I also have a garage, which helps as well. Believe it or not a stock M1028A1 WILL fit into a tiny apartment garage. You won't have a lot of room left over, but for my skinny a**, it isn't that big of a deal.

-Ian

CycleJay

Hello Regulator,

Thanks for the suggestion.. That is all I had in mind, I did not want to make some epic journey of a road trip, I'd be happy to find a vacant dirt lot somewhere around here,
that may be a little muddy, not enough to get stuck in.

Just to give the 4wd some use to keep it lubed and usable, and to get it a little dirty.
Like you said, just to scratch the itch.

But after all the negative comments about the M1009 I have seen in this thread,
I am not so sure if I want to run the risk, because something break,
or water may get somewhere it should not, etc..

It really disappoints me that the U.S. Military would invest in such a poorly designed vehicle,
to replace their previous line of jeeps, etc. Especially since their standards are typically high.
I have heard the axles are not strong enough for the weight of the M1009, etc.
Not to mention all the eletrical issues that are just part of the design,
such as the an incapable starter relay, etc..

But I really like my M1009, so I am going to be making repairs, and upgrades,
as time and money permit..
And once I get it running, I will take it to work, and make these repairs and
upgrades while I am at work, but after I clock out for the day.
Since I cannot do any repairs here at home..

Have a good night,

CJ

REGULATOR

look don't be scared to take it off road, but I wouldn't take it big foot mudbogging or anything too crazy. it was designed to travel offroad ant sane speeds

I drove these things in the Army back in the day, and we beat the snot out of them before upgrading to a Humvee.

Its a 4x4 truck, i don't think Id want to take it rock-crawling, but I wouldn't be afraid with decent tires and if the truck was mechanically sound to take it off road a bit.

aren'tthere guys plowing snow with them? Doesnt that tear up trannys and axles?

I go hunting on 160 acres and I wish I still had mine to take back in the woods and through the creeks. I drive my F250, and altough its a stout truck, I wouldn't worry about scratching up the M1009s paint

CycleJay

Hello Regulator,

Thanks for the advice, that is all I wanted to do, just some safe, sane & mild off-roading.

But not until I get it running again, and I do some repairs & upgrades to make it
mechanically sound.

Thanks and good night,

CJ

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really disappoints me that the U.S. Military would invest in such a poorly designed vehicle,
to replace their previous line of jeeps, etc. Especially since their standards are typically high.
I have heard the axles are not strong enough for the weight of the M1009, etc.
Not to mention all the eletrical issues that are just part of the design,
such as the an incapable starter relay, etc..
Every vehicle has it's limitations. M1009's are good rigs as long as you aren't pulling really heavy loads and putting huge tires on the 10 bolt axles. Electrically, I think they get a bad rap because so many people don't understand the system. You are getting the "I wouldn't do this" replies due to previously asking for help, multiple times, with very basic maintenance questions like asking local members to come over to help tighten an alt belt.

CycleJay

Hello Hndrsonj,

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for asking for help so much,
As I only did that, when I did not know something about a problem,
and when I did search, sometimes I could not find a solution to my problem.

But the more I read here, and the more I work with it myself, the more I am learning.
As for asking for assistance to tighten the belt, that was simply due to,
the fact I am not THAT strong, and THAT tall to get the leverage I need to do that myself.

But thanks to a neighbor loaning me a very long/strong metal rod,
that gave me the leverage I needed to do it myself.
Besides when I did ask, it was only after I had noticed that my pry bar,
was missing, and probably stolen..

I will do my best in the future, not to bother you guys so much, sorry...
I only ask for advice, help, etc.. Just so I can learn to maintain this thing on my own.

Have a good night,

CJ

P.s. By the way, as I learn more, the more I would be happy to help any of you out,
if and when you need it, I am not completely & totally brain dead, this is just
a learning experience for me..

DonK

CJ,
If you need help or have a question send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help. Most of us have "been there done that"...and will try to help. I've been through my oh9 inside and out. If you decide to head over to Durhamtown, let me know...:beer:

rjinga

CJ,

Our M1009 has been in the family since Jan. and we've been to the abandoned quarry, down miles of National Forest roads and power lines, and to Durhamtown twice already. We go slow and steady (mostly), no air, no rock crawling, and we haven't broken anything major yet. We have gotten dirty/muddy and had a blast though. However, it is not my DD; it is a back-up and off-road toy.

Here are links showing what the M1009 can do at Durhamtown and a NF trail:

Durhamtown Plantation - YouTube
More Oconee National Forest - YouTube

CycleJay

rjinga,

Thank you for the message, and the information..
I will look into going to those places, once I make much needed repairs, & upgrades
to my M1009, to make it as mechanically safe & sound as possible, and nothing is wrong with it.

Your type of answer is all I pretty much wanted when I asked, where can I get my M1009 dirty?

But I have received quite a few answers that did not answer my question,
but rather criticisms, negative comments etc.

Especially about it being difficult to maintain my M1009 myself.
But they need to realize, I was not born & raised as a mechanic, I have not had a career as a mechanic,
I have only repaired & maintained gas powered "muscle cars", and that was when I was in my teens and 20's, now I am 44..

This is my first experience with a 24volt diesel powered military vehicle,
so I have ALOT to learn, but I am ready, willing, eager & able to learn as
much as possible, so I can do as much maintenance as possible on my M1009
myself..

Thank you, have a good night, Feel free to keep in touch...

CJ

CGSDarkstar

I live in powder springs not far from you. For those days that i am looking to get a little off road in a stock m1009 there are a few good locations up CH James Pkwy aka 278. Just head north towards Rockmart. almost any turn off can get you to some hour long fun in the dirt and even mud. Amicalola Falls is good too just head toward the Tate house and your going the right way. Trails are beginner to moderate. I head out from time to time to get the truck dirty and do some target shooting:) so PM me and i can show you my preferred trails.

Thanks

CycleJay

Hello Darkstar,

Thank you for the message, information and offer.
I will look you up when I have my M1009 ready & running properly to do it safely,
and without breaking down.. hahaha.

Have a good day, or night...

CJ

P.s. If you are ever out this way, I am in Marietta, near Dobbins, let me know,
perhaps we can hang out a bit and talk MV..

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear Beasely Knob isn't too harsh. It's up in the mountains close to the Tennessee border in north GA. It's normally closed from Jan-March, and I think it might be temporarily closed right now due to lots of rain. It's a government run park so it's not gnarly rock-crawling stuff.

I've been wanting to get up there myself. Cruise around with mountain views while enjoying some mild wheeling. Pretty good way to spend a Saturday. I've done that a few times on Horsepasture road by Pickens, SC. Nice views, mild wheeling, also soon to seasonally closed for the winter.

CycleJay

Hello Shrapnel,

Thank you for the message and information.
For safety sake, I will not take my M1009 til I make some repairs,
so I know that it is safe and will not break down on me..
I would also like to wait until I have a AAA card, just in case I need towing.

Thank you, Good night,

CJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks