• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where did you mount the license plates

Josh

i just got my plates ( just running standard truck plates) and was only able to find one thread about it for a deuce. just curiose were yall have mounted your plates and if there is anyway to do it with out drilling. i figured putting one in the back window but im just looking for some ideas.

dittle

I've seen them mounted in the corners of the bumper. If you didn't want them permanetly mounted try JB Welding some powerful magnets on the back of the plates and put them on only when needed.

dittle

Magnets don't know, the license plate couldn't take it I'm sure. Or atleast it would discolor/damage it enough that a LEO might have an issue with and call it voided.

FL_Frank

There are 2 pre-drilled holes through the frame to the left of the pintle hook on the back that you should be able to use for mounting your plate. Of course, you'll have to make a bracket off of that, which I'll be attempting this weekend, but shouldn't be anything too challenging.

Being in Florida, we apparently don't have to mount our license plate to our military trucks per law as Dave (scrapman) mentioned to me when I picked up the truck from him, but I don't really want to get pulled over and have to explain it to the officer...easier to just mount the plate. =)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LightCorporal said:
just nosy, here. Wouldn't some of those modern glues work as good.
My first thought would be that heat from welding ... would that
damage a magnet? Dunno.
What dittle was talking about in his first post in this thread was "JB Weld", not actually welding the magnets to the plate. JB Weld is like an epoxy type of glue/adhesive

mistaken1

JB Weld is a two part epoxy.

I used the top two bolts of the pintle hook to mount the rear plate (washers between the plate and the frame).

I made a steel bracket for the front plate that is held in place by large stainless steel pipe clamps.

randyscycle

I just mounted the rear plate on the left mudflap mount, then added a light over top of it. Remember to leave room for a light.

The front, I just drilled and tapped two holes on the left side of the bumper.

I figure 6 extra 1/4" holes wouldn't do any harm.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is securely mounted in the map compartment on the right side of the dash. Scrapman was right about tag display in FL as well. See FSS 320.086. Florida Motor Vehicles Code Section 320.086 - Motor Vehicle Licenses - Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles. - Florida Attorney Resources - Florida Laws Here is the section that relates to it.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dealer plate magnets work best. No drilling and they hold really well to the back of a deuce. Never had a problem with law enforcement or inspection either. Get them at Gallagher Promotional Products (google that name). Like 5 bucks a piece. I've got like 15 of them. I even rigged up a special plate for a license plate light and it's all mounted together on the magnet for the back of my M1008 CUCV. Works perfect and can be unplugged and removed in a second. No holes drilled. I don't need a license plate light for deuce inspections.

coyotegray

This is how I did my plate.
It uses the same size bulb as the small bulbs for the other signal lights so I was able to easily swap out the 12v for a 24v..
I just tapped into wire 21. I was lucky that my truck already had a splitter installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

dcwilkie

I (gasp) drilled two holes in the left steel mud flap and mounted a prefab trailer license plate holder on two standoffs. All I have to do now is find a 28VDC bulb for the holder and wire the plate light to the tail light.
Pictures if anyone's interested.;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

Wrench Wench

I'd be worried that without a nut and a bolt, someone would try to steel it, especially, as I've been reading in the neighbor from Hell threads, someone who wants to get you in trouble for owning/driving it. Even with a clean bumper and a plate whose back is slathered in JB, I'd think it would be a simple matter to use a prybar to remove the plate pretty easily by liberating the paint to which it's adhered, damaging the plate in the bargain.

The rear mudflap mounting sounds good to me for most MVs, but what about a truck like the long wheelbase models (814, 820, etc.) where that would bury the plate and light too far back from the rear of the vehicle? I'd like to be able to throw four tiny holes into the rear skirt of a cargo bed, small enough to be trivially filled with a flux core welder, angle grinder, and a squirt of primer. Then, I can use four good, solid screws to hold it in place, like I don't even do on my car (just the top two). Then mount a length of something like 24 VDC rope light over the plate in a reflector to cast the light straight down, in the space occupied by the rear tailgate hinges' pivot point so there's no way to crush it. I think since a vehicle like a large military truck will spend an exceedingly breif amount of its life in the "fast lane" of any multi-lane highways, the plate chould be mounted on the dirver's side of the vehicle.

PorscheTech911

Does anyone know where to find that info about no plates as long as its in the vehicle for Missouri residents? I wonder if its the same or not, I hope so!

Numbers

Sounds like I was not too far off. I also mounted mine on the left rear mudflap. Used a set of old skate plate rubber truck mounts to keep the plate off the metal. Used a license frame which had holes spaced far enough apart to avoid drilling holes in the flap.

Depends on what your states requirements are in regards to license plate mounting for whatever you label your truck there (antique, commercial, farm, etc...).

wb1895

In NC, Chapter 20 of NC motor vehicle law states that the tag of a vehicle must be clearly displayed on the rear of the vehicle. Under NCGS 20-129(D) Rear Lamps. – Every motor vehicle, and every trailer or semitrailer attached to a motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall have all originally equipped rear lamps or the equivalent in good working order, which lamps shall exhibit a red light plainly visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. One rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed that the number plate carried on the rear of such vehicle shall under like conditions be illuminated by a white light as to be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

dittle

The whole JB Weld idea was not for a permanent mount but to mount magnets on the back of the plate so that you could put them on when needed and them store them in the truck if you wanted to put the truck on display w/out plates and/or holes showing.

Josh

well my truck isnt going to be a show truck, i bought it as a work truck, but i just didnt like the idea of putting holes in the bumpers, ill look tonight at putting it on the mudflap.