• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where do you all get your old Dodge truck parts from?

Lonesome715

As any old Dodge truck enthusiast knows, there is not a lot of aftermarket support for our trucks. I am fighting an uphill battle now trying to locate the parts I require for the auxiliary fuel tank on my 72 D200. I have been all over the internet and called multiple places in hopes of locating these parts. I am sure there has got to be someone out there I have not called however. So if you do not mind could you all please post links and or numbers to whoever deals in parts for my 72 Dodge? While I am at it maybe I will get lucky and find a few other things as well.

Elwenil

Sign up over at RamchargerCentral.com. There is no better place on the Internet for parts and info for Dodge D and W series trucks.

Lonesome715

Thanks. I have not heard of MTP before.

Right now, to get the truck off the trailer I need a siphon assembly anf fuel guage sending unit for the auxillary tank. The get the truck on the road I need a set of stock rims from the 70's. The have to be the earlier steel rims so the early model hubcaps I have will fit. Also, the later model steel rims will not slide on. Also, if you have a set of stock Jr Westcoast mirrors I would eb highly interested.

98hd

Thanks. I have not heard of MTP before.

Right now, to get the truck off the trailer I need a siphon assembly anf fuel guage sending unit for the auxillary tank. The get the truck on the road I need a set of stock rims from the 70's. The have to be the earlier steel rims so the early model hubcaps I have will fit. Also, the later model steel rims will not slide on. Also, if you have a set of stock Jr Westcoast mirrors I would eb highly interested.
I had a truck w/ an aux. tank, but I believe the sending unit was shot when it ran last, don't have any of the other parts.

Elwenil

Sending unit and pickup assemblies are a sore spot with most old Dodge trucks. There are a few available but you may have to get them for a different year and then modify it to fit your tank depth and so the gauge will read correctly.

Lonesome715

The aux tank makes it worse. It was a special order item in 72 and is not that common. I wish I knew who made the tank. At least I could try them and see if they can help me. You would think stock steel rims would be easy to come by. Nope, I am going to have to figure out how to make a modern set work.

Elwenil

It may not be. Most of the 2nd tanks used in Dodge trucks are just Ramcharger tanks stuck in where the spare tire would normally be but in '72, there were no Ramchargers since they didn't come out until '74. To make it more interesting, '72 was the first year for the D/W body style, so it's really hard to tell what was used back then. Still, the Ramcharger tank design had to come from somewhere so it's also possible they borrowed the auxiliary tank design from the earlier trucks. I think a '72 should use the original in cab tank and then the 2nd tank could just be a normal side tank though, which may open up a lot more options.

Unless you are a stickler for originality you could just toss the stock 2nd tank and upgrade to a Ramcharger tank for better parts availability if it's behind the bumper or a later side tank from a '80s pickup. If you went with a '80s tank before '88 (when TBI was introduced) you could have a 35 gallon auxiliary Ramcharger tank that's plastic with the optional skidplate for protection. Some of the 70s Ramcharger tanks are smaller and some are steel also but the parts can be hard or impossible to locate for them as well. If you have a side tank, you could use just about any truck tank that fits the wheelbase. Since you have a D200 and not a W200, you don't have to fool with one that has to fit around the divorced transfer case crossmember. If you want to replace the side tank, I would go with an '80s tank there also for better parts availability (for now) and you won't have to deal with the rather stupid design of the early '70s side tanks where the fill tube comes through the driver's side of the bed then goes all the way to the middle of the truck and then turns back in itself to go in the tank on the back side. This makes it near impossible for any of these trucks to take fuel from a modern high flow pump. Just my .02

Elwenil

So you have both tanks under the truck, one side tank and one in the rear like a Ramcharger or you have one in the cab and the 2nd tank is a side tank?

Lonesome715

I have the stock in cab tank and the aux tank is under the bed. They are both fed from the same fill tube. There is a split for the aux tank. It is a pretty neat set up. But this parts hunt has gotten on my nerves. I am nto about to give up and do away with the aux tank. I spoke to a local parts store and they are going to allow me to dig through thier sending units and see if I can locate a match. At this point, I think that will be my best bet. I will try and post some photographs of what I am working with.

Elwenil

It's been a while since I looked at that setup in the '72-'81 Mopar Parts Manual but I do not remember it filling from the same inlet at the cab. If I remember right, many of the sweptside trucks that had only the tank in the cab still had a dummy filler on the bedside. Is it possible it is some sort of aftermarket modification? Good luck on your search. Even if it is a Chrysler sending unit, most of the available NOS sending units only go back to '78 or so.

EDIT: After looking at those pics, I'm leaning more towards that being an aftermarket setup. I'll see if I can't remember to dig though the Parts Manual the next time I'm up there to be sure.

Last edited:

Lonesome715

I to beleive it is an aftermarket assembly that the OEM's at the time used. I never beleived it was a Chrysler manufactured thing. It was however an option thought them though. If I remember correctly it is even on the biuld sheet I have. I found a site that mentioned them. They were focussed on the Dodge version of the "camper special". Because my grandfather bought this truck for his slide in camper I beleive that is why i added that option when he ordered the truck.

Elwenil

OEM would imply that it was manufactured by Chrysler as OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. On the other hand there is a '72 CrewCab Camper Special for sale on RCC recently that had dual tanks and the pics only show the one inlet on the cab, so maybe it's just an odd setup used for the first year or two after the bodystyle changeover. I might have to do some digging as this has peaked my curiosity, lol.

Lonesome715

That is what I meant. I think the big three OEM's at the time were using this set up for the trucks with in cab tanks. In my unproffessional oppinion I think it looks pretty universal.