• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where does the M601 belong?

GerWJ

where can I post M601 info its not a M37 and not a WWII dodge? with no named post area others may not look at post? thanks its closest to M37 I guess M37 and M601 area?

GerWJ

m601 reply

thanks for reply still need a slot for them
did the 601 have a G number like other goverment trucks
looking for bottle jack that came with them not sure what came with 37 but it was the same as pwr wagon of 40s & 50s
how did they stow their tools

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: m601 reply

I got my M37 in 1970 & was the 2nd civilian owner after it was surplused from Eilson AFB. There was an OD painted hydrolic jack in the box under the driver's seat - what I always thought was an 8 ton version. The handles & Budd lug wrench with a hex bar for it & a steel tube extension were in the cross box at the bottom front of the bed. On the extension (still have it), its thin wall - not pipe, but high strength tubing, because I have never bent it. Don't remember anything else being in there. Might still have the jack too.

Lee in Alaska

Bill W

I have a operations manual for it, TM 9-8854 ( 1 ton 4x4 Special Power Wagon, M-601Cargo & M-615 Ambulance, 1957 ) the book also calls it a Modified M-37!!. There is a sales symbol ( T-137 ) but I don't see a G #

citizensoldier

Vintage Power Wagon sold a bunch of these a few years back. I bet if you call them they can answer most of your questions. I had some info on them and am still trying to locate it in my pile of stuff... I do remember finding that most if not all were shipped over seas. I see the Dutch Army did some mods and is still using them..

citizensoldier

some pics I had just for fun

Thought I would share some pics I have in my library..Enjoy :D
Sorry not M601 pics just some I came accross while looking for my M601 stuff.. I will find them... Still looking..

Attachments

GerWJ

m601 reply

thanks for info I have vintage pwr wagon on my speed dial they said the correct jack is a large bottle jack like the ones we had for dodges and chev's but bigger if the goverment endorsed this truck and put out a TM it should have a G number??? my 601 started life as a B-3-PW a little early for 601 but all has gone well had no bed so used a M101 trailer that we chopped and channeled it should be interesting will post pic's when done hopping to go to Bellview fl and look for stuff I need and maybe there will be a 601 there then I have GPW & WC22 to do
have a great ride

Bill W

OK so you don't own a 601, you have a pre 601 era PW that doesn't even have the correct 601 bed "BUT"your worried about putting in the correct bottle jack!. :roll:
If you go to Belleview look for a guy named Pierre he'll probably be displaying a Marmon/ford FC ( looks like a uni-mog) or a Mercedes G-wagon ( KFOR), he'll tell you everything you need to know about 601, he's ex Foreign legion and they used 601's extensively. Pierre has also imported quite a few himself.

GerWJ

correct M601

your right, but I like to know what was correct all this help out here has made it so easy to ask and it works great results team work can do most anything interestingly after all the research so far, it seems every country that had received 601's set them up different encluding beds but as a Sgt I was taught and expected by my unit to do what I could with what I had, which at time wasn't much but my higher HQ just wanted results and most of the time it was fun and quite a challenge
thanks for tip on show

citizensoldier

RE: correct M601

That is a version the Canadian military made in small numbers after WWII.. That picture is from the Power Wagon photo advertizer. It might still be for sale and he had more pictures on the listing.
For its rarety and the shape it was in I didnt think his price was bad either..

Re: correct M601

GerWJ said:
your right, but I like to know what was correct all this help out here has made it so easy to ask and it works great results team work can do most anything interestingly after all the research so far, it seems every country that had received 601's set them up different encluding beds but as a Sgt I was taught and expected by my unit to do what I could with what I had, which at time wasn't much but my higher HQ just wanted results and most of the time it was fun and quite a challenge
thanks for tip on show
this is one loooooooong sentence!

toddbe

If you go to Belleview look for a guy named Pierre he'll probably be displaying a Marmon/ford FC ( looks like a uni-mog) or a Mercedes G-wagon ( KFOR), he'll tell you everything you need to know about 601, he's ex Foreign legion and they used 601's extensively. Pierre has also imported quite a few himself.

Your comment abut Pierre is too funny. I was at an auction yesterday looking at a M601 - and guess who was there - Yeap Pierre. He is a great source of information and so willing to share it. Thanks to a Steel Soldier member for 'hooking' me up with him.

toddbe

Photos

I have not seen any photos attached to this thread. We all know photos are the greatest! This is my M601 in the Memorial Day parade. I was prod to have a Korean War vet and an Afghan War vet ride along with me.

2016-05-30 10.15.04.jpg2016-05-30 09.53.07.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks