• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where has it been?

cbvet

Curious about the M813A1 I recently got. Wondering what branch or unit it may have belonged to.
Any help appreciated.
VIN #NI063K C325-10247
Left rear bumperette marked "IN", right rear marked "9949".
"P425" on right rear of bed.
Eric
CBVET

Attachments

acetomatoco

Those rear bumperette markings are very fresh and may indicate a line number from the Indiana Agency for Surplus Property...as the stencils were homemade. The P425 # would be the vehicle # in whatever unit it was assigned to...Not familiar with either format...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Your truck was last assigned to the Directorate of Logistics, Installation Management Command, Fort Polk, LA. It could have been used by the JRTC folks, they tend to use a lot of the older vehicles in role playing.

Hope that helps.

cbvet

Wow medlog! How did you figure that out? Fort Polk is where it was overhauled according to the tag.
Guy I got it from bought it in 2005, but I don't know where he got it.
Emmado- What's an equipment draw yard, & why do you say I should look it over REALLY well?
Thanks guys!
Eric
CBVET

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know the line "who cares, its a rental"????... Keep that in mind..

When units train to NTC/FT Irwin, there is an equipment pool that is for use by the visiting unit so they dont have to spend the $ and time rail loading homestation equipment. They "borrow" it for a few weeks then return it.. As you can imagine, the borrowing unit doesnt do as good of a job maintaining it as they would if it was they own stuff.. Add in the occasional abuse, and multiply it by a few dozen times a year... See where this is going??? Thats why if you buy anything from GL out in Barstow/Ft Irwin that has a 4 digit "bumper number" be VERY wary.. They are from the equipment loaner pools... I've never been to JRTC/Ft Polk, so I cant say for sure, but Im sure someone else here might of been and can comment on it..

Short short story on one of my experiences.. One of my guys had a M35A2 we borrowed. At the end of the exercise, you need to turn in the truck atleast 3/4 full of fuel.. There was no fuel to be had anywhere(those that have been there will understand that)... All this kid had to do was find 20-30 gal of fuel, turn in his truck, and he could fly home THAT day.. He asks me what to do, I told him to find some fuel somewhere.. He starts kicking a rock in frustration that is on the desert floor.. He kicks one and it flys off into the desert.. He suddenly stops, picks up a fist sized rock, and says "Sir, I think I found the fuel I needed".. He runs off, comes back a hour later, truck is all turned in. Im sure the next unit that drew that truck wondered why it seemingly burned up fuel faster than any other truck there and had to be refueled more often than the rest.......

I'd bet a few dollars that your truck was part of the Infantry Battalion PREPO fleet there...

cbvet

Interesting, thanks. I never saw anything like that happen myself, as most of my service time was in VietNam & we took good care of the equipment there. But i can sure believe it happened.
I'm hoping the guy I bought it from already found any problems & corrected them. But I WILL go over it thoroughly before I run it much.
Again, thanks.
Eric
CBVET

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You hit it on the head emmado.

It may have been used for range maintenance, in support of training (the draw yard), a trash truck, the dreaded P-HA truck, an OPFOR vehicle, or just about anything else on base.

I did three rotations to JRTC. It ain't fun. Most of the stuff units bring but there is some stuff there to draw. The senario is different from Irwin. Been there twice and CMTC in Germany 7 times. Each sucks in it's own sucky way but I would have to say NTC is the worst environmentally but JRTC is the place they screw with you the worst. CMTC depends on the time of year.

Hope everything on your truck is OK.

Keep 'em rolling.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You hit it on the head emmado.

It may have been used for range maintenance, in support of training (the draw yard), a trash truck, the dreaded P-HA truck, an OPFOR vehicle, or just about anything else on base.

I did three rotations to JRTC. It ain't fun. Most of the stuff units bring but there is some stuff there to draw. The senario is different from Irwin. Been there twice and CMTC in Germany 7 times. Each sucks in it's own sucky way but I would have to say NTC is the worst environmentally but JRTC is the place they screw with you the worst. CMTC depends on the time of year.

Hope everything on your truck is OK.

Keep 'em rolling.

spicergear

Did anyone else pick up from JUST the first picture that it was a dropside bed??

Non dropside beds have 5 hinges with one right in the center. Hinge spacing is also different between drop and non-dropside beds. The outer two will work, the next two are off by about 1 hing width too far apart, then obviously no middle hinge. Yeah, so non drop gate will work on dropside bed in a pinch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks