• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where is the Vin# on my Deuce????

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, another lovely day at DMV (N.Y.) Im in the process of buying my first Deuce and DMV will not accept
a photo copy of the ID number on the data plate which was removed by the owner and photo copied. They want a "Rubbing" of the vehicle ID number and I dont have one. Does anyone know if there is an ID/Vin number somewhere on an M35A2 that can be copied using a pencil and a piece of typing paper "rubbing" or "etching" the ID number onto the paper to pacify there wonderful people? Truck has never been titled or registered.

thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on when the trick was built.

The later model VINs are located on the outside frame rail next to the steering box.

Some of the older units are on the passenger side and start with M

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had any issues with providing the DMV with a digital photo.

You should be able to do a rubbing of the data plate.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
which was removed by the owner and photo copied.
He did not say that in this thread, did he?

I've removed them to scan, and replaced them.

will not accepta photo copy of the ID number on the data plate
No mention of the data plate not being on the truck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also done a frame vin rubbing, and also a digital picture of it, and that was accepted as well.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought there were legal issues (fine/jail time) for removing or changing VIN plates on vehicles in most states unless there was a really compelling reason a judge would agree with. I doubt there would be an issue for removing the plate to paint the metal underneath, but it has to go back when the paint is dry.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, it is a very big deal here to remove it.

It's interesting that they were originally installed with screws.

I know people who have been arrested for removing a vin tag. (and having one not on the vehicle during restoration).

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data plate was removed for 10 minutes, a photo copy was made of it, the data plate was then put back where it belongs. DMV will not accept the photo copy.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reinstall the plate, schedule an appointment with the highway patrol or police theft division and have them inspect it VIN.

I've done that with out of state trucks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not do a rubbing of the data plate?

I would do that and a photo and try again.

As I said, I have done either and both, with positive results.

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Went to another DMV and they titled and registered the Deuce with no problem. One thing I am learning when it comes to DMV, Logic is thrown out the door and things can just depend on a supervisors mood that day. Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks