• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where might I find a WW II camo net (the burlap type)

dcbrown

I have been trying to find a WW II / Korean War era camo net. This is the type with brown and green burlap woven through the net. Does anyone make reproductions of these? Thanks folks.
Chris

Dodge man

Somewhere I have exactly what you need. A copy of the U.S.A. Camouflage TM from ~1943. I just rescued it and to pry the pages apart! But I put where it would be safe and we all know what happens then. You can't find it!!! But it did read it closely and they only issued a net and nothing else and the "decoration" was left up to the soldiers. They were very empathic that the soldiers use local material for camouflage and pointed out that non-local plants and material stood out as bad and sometimes worse than no camoflage at all!* The soldier also had to pay attention to the point of view of the enemy and make sure that the camoflage matched what would be in the background from the enemy's view point. In short, there was no brown and green burlap dressed netting. There's was only plain netting and the soldiers had use local plants, paint, soot, mud, burlap and other material to make their own camouflage. The TM did specifically recommend torn burlap as a good base material since it broke up shapes without attracting attention to itself. You should try to locate a copy of that TM. It was very interesting reading and I was surprised that it actually had color pictures! I've seen color pictures in very few TMs and never in one that old!

*FWIW we didn't learn that lesson very well. In VietNam we (yes, me!) were dropping radio transmitters disguised as plants behind enemy lines and using them to listen for convoys and other traffic carrying weapons and supplies to the south. If the analyst heard anything that that they thought were supplies or troops heading south they called in air strikes on them. It never worked well and years later we learned why, the dimwits that designed them disguised them as plants that are not native to VietNam and the VC and the locals spotted them almost immediately!

I see that the U.S.A. is now issuing plastic "camouflage" but AFIK they only have two basic patterns; woods green and desert tan. They STILL haven't learned their lesson! Not all woods look alike and not all are green. Same with deserts, they don't all look alike and not all are tan!

If you're going to use your camouflage for shows you'll have to "redecorate" it for every different setting so that means just about every show! And even then you'll have to try and keep the audience confined to one area so that they have the proper background to match the camouflage.

Let me know how it turns out!

Dodge man

Dodge man

Well I finally found my manual and I got a bonus, I found one that I didn't know that I had! Mine is FM 5-20A and the one that I found is FM 5-20C. Looks like I need to find a copy of the Basic Camouflage manual. Here's some more details about them:

There's a whole set of FM 5-20 manuals that were printed in 1944, starting wiyh FM 5-20, then 5-20A, etc all the way through -20H. Basic Camouflage techniques are covered in 5-20, vehicles are covered in 5-20B. 5-20C also has some photos of camouflaged vehicles and more details about how to camouflage them. This site HyperWar: U.S. Army Field Manuals has PDF copies of FM5-20 thru 5-20D available for download. You can probably find the others on the net somewhere. 5-20B in particular describes the different types of netting and how to use them including everything from Osnaburg to shrimp netting to cargo netting. But for a complete understanding of camouflage I strongly suggest that you start with the basic manual, FM 5-20 and read them in order.

FM 5-20 Camouflage, Basic Principles
FM 5-20A Camouflage of Individuals and Infantry Weapons
FM 5-20B Camouflage of Vehicles
FM 5-20C Camouflage of Bivouacs, Command Posts, Supply Points, and Medical Installations
FM 5-20D Camouflage of Field Artillery

The PDFs from the site above aren't very good copies but this site Camouflage of Vehicles, WWII War Department Field Manual FM 5-20B, April 1944 (Lone Sentry)
has a much better copy of the Camouflage of Vehicles manual.