• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to buy a Deuce

Kohburn

sometimes the only solution to HOA issues is to pettition the board for a rule change or exemption, if that fails then the only solution is to move.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sometimes the only solution to HOA issues is to pettition the board for a rule change or exemption, if that fails then the only solution is to move.
That is an interesting idea.

What if I asked the HOA for a letter of exemption:
I could say that: "I was considering a 4x4 M35 project truck rated at 5/4 tons but would really like to purchase an already restored Deuce that is rated at 2.5 tons. I know I can park and store the registered 5/4 ton truck on the street, but if I could get an exemption to park the restored Deuce behind an 8’ fence that might be a more symbiotic solution for everyone. They basically look the same except that the Deuce is rated over the 1.5 ton HOA limit due to a second Rockwell axle. They are both antique Military Vehicles that will be registered as a Historic vehicle with the Texas DMV, I would just prefer to buy a fully restored Deuce then mess with cleaning up a 4x4 M35 that will need body work and paint. I also think local parades and volunteer activities in the area would appreciate the Deuce since it is more historic and obviously will be fully restored and a fresh paint job on day 1."

I figure one of two things will happen. They will agree to the letter of exemption to keep a Deuce out of sight, or they will quickly change the HOA rules to disallow anything over a Ton. :D

So what does everyone think of this solution? Did I miss anything? I really do think it is a win-win for everyone.

Akicita

Mike,
I'm walking down the same road you want to take. Never had a Deuce, have limited mechanical skills and knowledge, and want a truck that runs. I checked the internet to get an idea of what's out there, compared prices for trucks and prices for parts and eventually came to the conclusion that I'll probably be better off spending a few bucks more on a truck from a reputable dealer who checks the vehicles he sells thoroughly and replaces, or repairs what needs attention. Dealers need to make a profit and will charge more than you may pay at auction. On the other hand, you won't have to pay a wrecker to pull you to a garage when you break down, and you know your truck will run. That has a value to me, too.

I found three dealers relatively close to me and contacted all of them. One, it turns out, only deals in parts, not in complete trucks. I visited one and was disappointed in the "salesman's" lack of product knowledge. Heck, if I know more than the seller, the seller really doesn't know much. I plan to see the third one this weekend. I already talked to him on the phone a few times and go there with the expectation that he will show me what he has and answer any additional questions I may come with while I'm there.

I suggest you check this site, Ebay, Craig's List and the internet in general for "for sale" ads from your neck of the woods. I've learned quite a bit from reading the descriptions, and by talking to people. Download the manuals from this site. They will give you a good idea what to expect in maintenance work.

I hope you find some of this helpful.
Jeff in Pennsylvania

Steaminjim

I bought mine from wreckerman893. It was the best for me as I did not have a great deal of experience with trucks and his was a well maintained unit. Also couldn't beat the delivery charge; brought it to the next Ralley for free. [thumbzup] So I recommend the Steel Soldiers classified adds.
Semper Fi,

Maverick1701

I wouldnt go through Boyce. I bought mine from Boyce and there are several equally good quality deuces for sale from SS members for a lot less money. My Boyce deuce ran my $9500, in hind sight I would have rather bought a deuce from an SS member and saved A LOT of money.

there is a company in dallas called broadband tactical. They offer fully serviced deuces and other military vehicles.
www.broadbandtactical.com
I called them but was never able to get a price.

Adragontattoo

Where to buy a deuce?

My front yard.

Must ignore the location until AFTER the house is purchased!

You are too close!

GAAHHHH hehe, let me find a house and if it has no restrictions about parking. I am after a Deuce as soon as $ allows.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could take the troop seats off, top off, and fold the windshield down, well below your fence line and outta sight too.
I actually ended up buying one from GL and will be picking it up next week if things work out. EUC came back after 9 days so I was caught a little by surprise and trying to get everything together this holiday weekend.

I have thought the same thing about folding everything down and putting a tarp over it to keep the weather out of it.

My thoughts are as long as I start and use it during day hours, complaints will not be an issue. I have spoke with the city and they have no issues about it being parked on the street, so I THINK I can give my HOA an option if it comes down to it, of parking it in front of my house on the street (I don't want to do this) or keeping it hidden behind the fence. I think I can sale it as a WIN WIN and hopefully keep the peace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks