• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to buy sprag

bjsmith

i have searched and could not fing where to buy a new sprag i have searched here and on google i need a new sprag for my duece the forward part is messed up reverse still works fine so would like to be pointed where to find new sprag or cheap air shift transfer case thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, save your money on repairing the sprag case. You are better off replacing the unit. 2cents

JasonS

If I recall correctly, you can use another good used rear to replace your front. I should have one if you need. I also have a REB kit which can be used to replace your sprag section (also for sale). PM me if you are interested. However, if you have easy access to an air shift, that is a better solution.

tgarrisoniv

i gotcha. any idea how i would go about making my airlock into a manual case? maybe removing the air solenoid and making a lever? or just welding to make it all time 4wd.... i never need it in 2wd and if i did i could just remove the front d-shaft. its stricly a mud truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think you could drill and tap some holes in the housing of the "air plunger". Then thread some bolts in to keep the plunger in place. Or pull the housing and fill it with foam? Not too sure on that. Maybe "G" will post up a better way to do it.

mikew

Although it's been a couple of years, I purchased a pair of brand new sprags 2520-00-513-5811 (at a great price) from Steel Soldiers member NDT.

You can replace the sprags without removing the transfer case, just the front driveshaft output cover.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i gotcha. any idea how i would go about making my airlock into a manual case? maybe removing the air solenoid and making a lever? or just welding to make it all time 4wd.... i never need it in 2wd and if i did i could just remove the front d-shaft. its stricly a mud truck.
The air shift really is a manual case. If there's no air pressure, it's not engaged, if there is air pressure, it engages. If you have an air shift transfer case and cap the air line coming out, then you will not be able to engage the front two wheels. That's all there is to it! The sprag is an 'automatic' in that it senses when the rear tires are going faster than the front (slipping) and it engages the front axle. Please note that where you are getting good traction on all wheels the front and rear axles will be fighting each other and you will wind up with 'less than optimal results'. 2cents

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could drill and tap some holes in the housing of the "air plunger". Then thread some bolts in to keep the plunger in place. Or pull the housing and fill it with foam? Not too sure on that. Maybe "G" will post up a better way to do it.
LOL... guess he wanted a lever....??:smile:

One has to keep in mind that the -27 airshift is NOT sealed where the shaft goes through the housing wall. Also the short distance to the crossmember directly in front can be a problem to attach some kind of clevis to the -27's shift shaft end.
The only "professional" way I could think of is swapping both style front output housings WITH their respective shift shafts, while maintaining the same internal parts. So the airshift -27 fork now goes on the sprag -21 shaft (same shaft position and diameter = 7/8") which already comes with that upright arm at the end. From there up it would be easy to create the linkage and lever to operate this from the cab...

Now if this wasn't off-topic, what IS....?:p

G.

hof3414

I have same problem, Sprag works in reverse not in forward. I haven't got a air shift transfer case yet but would like to in future. Whoever mentioned replacing the broken front sprag parts without removing the whole transfer case. Is this a relatively cheap part? I may do that instead of switching out entire case for now.

Last edited:

robert c neth

Banned
the mudders usually have a good secondary market for parts.we bought 2 air shift cases for 450.00 and some good body parts because they cut these up for mud use.we also have run welded sprague clutches with no issues .remove all the clutch parts and weld the drive gear to the shaft.i wouldnt do this on a street driven truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also forgot: last time I was at Antelope Valley Equipment, he had several dozen NOS sprag transfer cases there. He was having a hard time selling them (everyone wants air) that may be a reasonable source ($$) for a complete T/C.

JasonS

I have same problem, Sprag works in reverse not in forward. I haven't got a air shift transfer case yet but would like to in future. Whoever mentioned replacing the broken front sprag parts without removing the whole transfer case. Is this a relatively cheap part? I may do that instead of switching out entire case for now.
I have a few used sprag clutches if you are interested.

mbc

I bought mine from White Owl jeep parts last summer. Was not very expensive and was easy to change. You will need a press to remove it from the shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks