• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to Buy Valvetrain Components

motormayhem

As discussed in my other post I am in the market for parts to fix a broken valve spring and broken rocker arm shaft. Can anyone recommend where the best place to get these would be? It looks like rockauto only carries stuff for the new stamped style rocker assemblies. They have the valve spring, but not the rocker arm shaft. I'd like to get OEM for both if possible to keep it the same as the other assemblies that are in there that I was not planning to take apart.

IMG_3055.jpg
IMG_3054.jpg

rsh4364

I read in an article printed in 2005, 82-84 rocker arm assemblies didnt oil effectively resulting in badly worn bushings and shafts. In their build they used parts from o'Reillys. Truck Trend October, 2005. 6.2 banks turbo build.

Last edited:

cucvrus

MOTORMAYHEM. Show me what parts you need. I will get them out to you. You don't need to spend a fortune. I probably have the parts laying here in my stash. If I have them we can deal/trade.

motormayhem

Thanks cucvrus. I'll shoot you a PM once I have had a chance to inspect everything. From a quick look the rocker shaft is broken and it looks like there is pretty decent wear in the bushings of the cast rocker arms. What are people's thoughts on the newer style stamped rocker assemblies? Since I'm already torn down to the top end it really wouldn't be too bad to replace all 4 shafts with those if they are a drop in replacement. What is the consensus on those style rocker assemblies. Are they better? Are they a drop in?

cucvrus

IMHO. They are equally worthy of the task. It was just a change in design. Also again IMHO the stamped ones are less expensive. I had them both ways. It is an opinion that has never been proven and don't need to be about which ones are better. better then what? If you want them either way let me know. I am sure I have both. I put back in what I take out and salvage the rest from bad engines. Most bad engines I had came from the hoods being left off the trucks. go figure. Why would it need a hood. Which is better the L88 cowl induction hood or the standard OEM hood. I heard the L88 hood left snow and rain blow in from the back. See where I'm going? Neither do I. Have a Great Day.

nyoffroad

IMHO. . I heard the L88 hood left snow and rain blow in from the back. See where I'm going? Neither do I. Have a Great Day.
Good thing I keep that project truck/hood in the garage! Some day I'll get it done and post some pic's, It's only been about 18 years no sense in rushing it.

Motermayhem, if by chance cucvus doesn't have what you need (slim chance) let me know I've got a few pieces and parts myself

motormayhem

I was surprised to see they still sell replacement bushings for the cast rocker arm assemblies.
Rock Auto has them as Sealed Power 3863Y

cucvrus

DSCF4863.jpgOK. I went out and took a look at my rocker arms parts bin. I have 2 of the cast iron sets of 4 and several of the stamped rockers. Both are just as good. I used them both and never had any yeas or nays. So if you are looking for the best and brand new. I am not the guy. I kept them so that means I would reuse them no questions asked. I did NOT mic them and check them, balance them or cold wash them. Whatever someone else might do to prove they are worthy of being the best rocker arms obtainable. Get my point? I could not post in a PM but here's a picture. The 2 rails of cast iron and a single sample of the stamped.

motormayhem

Well I finally got around to putting her back together. I ended up machining up a set of retainers for the stamped type rockers to get the best of what both types have to offer. No chance of broken rocker retainers and no oiling / shaft failure issues. A little better than the grade 8 washer deal with higher hardness and a nice fit to the shaft. So far running great.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks