• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find a 12v Starter?

mecharedneck

So I just got my M37 a few months ago and I'm still just in the "admiring it in the driveway" stage. A few days ago I went to start it up (just to get the blood flowing) and the starter exploded. My friends dad is a retired auto electrician, and he pointed out that when it was converted to 12 volt many years ago, some joker put in a 6v starter.

When I talked to the guy at VPW, he suggested a WW2 starter, and when I talked to the guy at Antelope Valley Truck Parts, he suggested one out of a mid-'50s dodge car.

Does anyone here have experience with a 12v starter in your M37?

servi53

my 53 B-4 power wagon had a 6 volt starter in it when I switched it to 12 volt, left it in there for years and never had a problem with it. a mechanic buddy of mine told me it was an old racing trick for cranking a motor. good luck with your project

mecharedneck

Yeah, I imagine the guy before me never had a problem either. It seems to have damaged the flywheel gear a bit (nothing major) but one of the guys I talked to said that some starters will work, but don't mesh properly.

I want to change it back to 24v someday and get the right starter, but for now, I just want it back on the road.

SasquatchSanta

I've been running 6-Volt starters on 12-Volt M-37s for years.

The old 6-Volt starters were made so tough that they will hold up --- no problem. The key to success (as with any starter) it to not crank the engine for over a few seconds without letting the starter to cool down.

Also, when installing another starter be sure to count the teeth on the pinion. There were two flywheels and therefore two starter pinions. The two don't mix and match.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks