• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find differential lockers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisM38

I have spent quite a while on the internet looking for differential lockers and the cheapest I have found are $429 for a Yukon and $510 for an Ouverson. Does anyone know of any other source I should be looking into or better prices somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent quite a while on the internet looking for differential lockers and the cheapest I have found are $429 for a Yukon and $510 for an Ouverson. Does anyone know of any other source I should be looking into or better prices somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
You have found the cheapest price out there $429.00

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one for sale in the Vendors Forum. He might make a deal.

Yeah I'm pretty sure those are detroits at those prices, one of the best lockers you can get. And considering they are the same prices as smaller vehicle lockers we should all consider ourselves lucky. The size of rockwells you would think they would be $1000 a piece. I had $2000 wrapped up in air lockers on my jeep.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah I'm pretty sure those are detroits at those prices, one of the best lockers you can get. And considering they are the same prices as smaller vehicle lockers we should all consider ourselves lucky. The size of rockwells you would think they would be $1000 a piece. I had $2000 wrapped up in air lockers on my jeep.
They're a locker that shares the same overall design as a Detroit locker. But it's not made by the same company. Yukon Grizzly internals are made in China. Which in a 2.5t rockwell, you only replace the internal parts. Some of their other lockers have the internals made in China, but external cases made in the states.

You sometimes get what you pay for. I'll just say that...

welldigger

For the small price difference, just buy an ouverson or a Detroit instead of the Yukon. Doing the job twice is not worth saving less than $100.
I would rate yukon equalish with the detroit locker. Heck they are basically carbon copies of each other. At least in the 2.5 ton rockwell stuff. Though, I will admit I would personally spend a bit more on detroit.

I am curious as to which axle you plan on putting this in. I would only use a spring loaded locker on the steer axle. I would also suggest lockout hubs in conjunction with them. Rear drive axles I highly suggest arb air lockers. Though they are big money.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would rate yukon equalish with the detroit locker. Heck they are basically carbon copies of each other. At least in the 2.5 ton rockwell stuff. Though, I will admit I would personally spend a bit more on detroit.

I am curious as to which axle you plan on putting this in. I would only use a spring loaded locker on the steer axle. I would also suggest lockout hubs in conjunction with them. Rear drive axles I highly suggest arb air lockers. Though they are big money.
Carbon copy in design, yes. Metallurgy, no, not at all.

A detroit is a spring loaded locker. (As well as the yukon)

Did you mean the other way around maybe? I'd say a full time locker in the rear and selectable front locker is the real way to go...

Jeepsinker

I've had good luck with these types of lockers in Both front and rear axles in jeeps without locking hubs even as daily drivers. Never had one in a deuce though.

welldigger

Carbon copy in design, yes. Metallurgy, no, not at all.

A detroit is a spring loaded locker. (As well as the yukon)

Did you mean the other way around maybe? I'd say a full time locker in the rear and selectable front locker is the real way to go...
Why would you want a full time locker in the rear? Do you only coast around turns? Your front axle spends most of its life disengaged. Add lockout hubs and you won't have any problems. The front will just free wheel as normal on pavement. When offroad dirt adds a little bit of a slip factor. Mud even more.

It just seems backwards to me to have a full time locker on the axle thats always driving the truck. I forsee tight turns (well as tight of a turn as the deuce will achieve) being a nightmare with a rear axle that locks up when I give it gas. Think about it. If it didn't matter if the rear axle locked up then why does it even have a rear diff? All of my chevy trucks came factory with rear lockers and they engage electronically when I put it into 4wd. Not every time I give it gas. In fact more than once I screwed up and left one of them in 4wd and got onto asphault. That rear end will bind and jump on pavement. Man it makes some nasty noises.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroit lockers do not technically lock up in a turn. They drive the inside tire and allow the outside tire to over-run. They are locked together if the inside tire slips enough to catch up to the speed of the outside tire. Air lockers are locked when activated.

DavisM38

I would rate yukon equalish with the detroit locker. Heck they are basically carbon copies of each other. At least in the 2.5 ton rockwell stuff. Though, I will admit I would personally spend a bit more on detroit. I am curious as to which axle you plan on putting this in. I would only use a spring loaded locker on the steer axle. I would also suggest lockout hubs in conjunction with them. Rear drive axles I highly suggest arb air lockers. Though they are big money.
I plan on locking all three, with lockouts on front. I have had a Detroit in my m725 since late 80`s with no problems with locking around corners. Not sure about tandem axles though.

DavisM38

Detroit lockers do not technically lock up in a turn. They drive the inside tire and allow the outside tire to over-run. They are locked together if the inside tire slips enough to catch up to the speed of the outside tire. Air lockers are locked when activated.
Technically the inside tires of tandem axles turn in different radius`s. I`m thinking the difference is so small that unless I drive in circles on pavement there wouldn`t be driveshaft binding between the tandem axles. Would you agree?

Last edited:
I wonder if a Detroit would even be noticed in a bobbed deuce. In a jeep yes small tires short wheel base, but a deuce? I'm going to find out I guess cause I'm putting detroits front and rear with lockouts on the front.

mudguppy

I wonder if a Detroit would even be noticed in a bobbed deuce. In a jeep yes small tires short wheel base, but a deuce? ...
yes, it is noticed. you will get used to either coasting or applying some power around tight corners to avoid noise.

spend a few bux more (literally) and buy Ouverson - it is the best quality and is the only upgradeable locker out there. Randy stands by his stuff if it ever breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks