• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find hard top seal?

maxspeed250

I have called around to many surplus dealers in search of a rubber seal for the hard top to cab back seal, and so far can't find one new or used. Any suggestions where to inquire?

runk

Couldn't find one either, used ~1/8 closed cell foam rubber and cut to fit. It was a scrap from work, so I don't have the specs. But, it was on the softer side, but little cells so fairly dense. It had a low tack adhesive on one side, which made it a lot easier to keep in place while I trimmed and fit it. Cut it approximately to the correct width (a little over), stretched it a little on the outside of the curve, and bunched it up slightly on the inside. Trimmed the edges and bolt holes with a razor knife. I did both the cab to rear window section and window section to top section seals. I also put a layer on the front, between the thick rubber gasket riveted to the top and the windshield frame.

So far (3 months) seals way better then the old dried up rubber seals. No leaks from the top joints while driving through some pretty heavy rain. Now if I just had time to put in the new windshield and door weatherstrips / gaskets, I might actually be able to stay dry !

wsucougarx

I re-used what was left of the gasket. I used silicone caulking from HD to do the job. I don't remember what silicone it was but it was the most expensive stuff they had. So far so good, no leaks. Which doesn't mean much anywhere but this is in WA state where it rains all the time.

Heavysteven

Sika-Flex 1a is the best siclone out there.

Runk,
Where did you get your door seal from? Dealer or another source. I looked at od iron but it's 300 to do the cab.

ranchhopper

Use camper tape its much better than the old seal I use it on all my trucks the bead on the old seal forces the water into the cab its a bad design.Camper tape is foam and has an adhesive side and wont push the water into the cab.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought both OD Iron and Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus had them?

runk

Heavysteven,
I bought the complete weather seal kit from Erik's. Expensive, but I think slightly cheaper then buying all the individual seals. They didn't have the hardtop seals then (~4 months ago).

ranchhopper,
I looked up the camper tape, the gray sure looks a lot like the stuff I used. (although I had to cut mine out of much wider sheet) I had the same thought about the original seal design.